No Disability Justice, No Peace: The Ongoing Struggle for Disability Rights in the United Kingdom | Teen Ink

No Disability Justice, No Peace: The Ongoing Struggle for Disability Rights in the United Kingdom

April 15, 2023
By Udonn BRONZE, Qingdao, Other
Udonn BRONZE, Qingdao, Other
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

In a 2019 story documented by the Disability News Service, a young autistic man Ikram Khan from Birmingham was forced into medication at an institution after being misdiagnosed with schizophrenia. This is his fourth year of torturing treatment, where he gradually lost the ability to recognize his family due to the heavy use of antipsychotics. “It looks like I am going to die here,” he told his mother.

Mr. Khan’s tragedy represents a broader systemic issue. Across the globe, over one billion people live with disability, and the number is drastically rising. People with disabilities demand adequate physical support and mental health resources to thrive just as any other non-disabled person. However, in practice, people with disabilities are often neglected in conversations on diversity, inclusion, and equity. Even though every country has made efforts, few nations have provided quality services to disabled people. Ultimately, people with and without disabilities share the world together. To harness a  sustainable future, states have an obligation to make a   desirable environment people with disabilities, enabling them to enjoy the planet A. As UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon emphasizes, “We might have a plan B, but we do not have a planet B.”


England has earned a reputation for taking care of disabled people, for the country has introduced The Equality Act 2010 to protect the rights of people with disabilities to access healthcare. However, after  12 years of efforts, the UK government has not effectively  nor  comprehensively  implemented  this  convention. A tremendous  gap between the policy design and implementation paralyzes the British government and public health institutions, leading to thousands of people with disabilities struggling with inequalities and  inconveniences.  When   disabled  people access healthcare services, they  tend  to  face  significant  difficulties  before,  during,  and  post  the treatment.

 

A Tough Route to the Hospital

In England, barriers to public transport including communication gap and imperfect    infrastructure limit patients with disabilities’ access to health facilities. Most rail stations in London are equipped with barrier-free access, but there are some step-free  stations still have gaps and steps in the platform. In such case, people with disabilities have to contact the station staff, who will deploy manual boarding ramps to help the    disabled person in and out of the compartment. Even though the London Underground network offers accessible facilities and step-free access at many locations, not all subway stations are wheelchair accessible. In fact, only about a third of London underground stations have step-free access. People with disabilities have to walk a long way to the step-free access within the station. Furthermore, less than 10 percent   of disabled people take taxis regularly in London as the cost of a taxi ride in the city is significantly higher than public transportation. These barriers cause frequent appointment delays or no-shows of people with disabilities simply because it takes tremendous effort and time for them to travel to the clinic. Nearly 95 percent of people with disabilities report that they lack confidence during travel, with 47 percent anxious about the hardships they may encounter every time they go out.

 

Systematic Discrimination During the Treatment

 

On top of the difficulties getting to the hospitals, people with disabilities face even

more obstacles, such as communication gaps and misdiagnoses, during the treatment process. A recent survey has revealed that the disabled community is neglected by the medical system. Through an online YouGov survey post the Covid- 19 outbreak, there were 4 new medical treatments which were from diagnostics to remote monitoring being presented to voters, but non  included  scenarios  for people with  disabilities. Online diagnosis offers a more convenient way for people to treat themselves at home, but not for those with language or learning disabilities. In fact, those people require more face-to-face communication with doctors to get effective treatment. In 2022, more than 40 percent disabled patients report that they have a GP they prefer to see or speak to. Apart from that, there is a common recognition within the hospitals that disabled patients tend to be mistreated or discriminated against in the NHS. Efstathia, a  patient with visual impairment from Southeast London, had undergone five operations on her back, but one operation had been performed incorrectly due to an earlier misdiagnosis, resulting in the medical malpractice that metal had been left in the wrong place in her body.  Consequently, a variety of comorbid conditions developed in her, such as Addison’s, fibromyalgia, and polymyalgia.

 

Long-term Condition Management with Disability

Many people with disabilities face barriers including physical limitations, financial problems, and a lack of welfare support to managing long-term conditions. Take diabetes as an example. People with diabetes need to strictly control the composition of their diet and take insulin injections every day. This process is particularly difficult for those who suffer from paralysis or vision impairments. Furthermore, the application appointment is typically through calls with government officials, creating  another barrier for people with verbal-based disability. Finally, the system design poses an extra pressure on those patients. Both the British government and the welfare agencies provide social welfare to the disabled, but two separate systems lead to additional inconvenience for the patients to apply for benefits.

 

The Plan B

In terms of access to healthcare, with only 33 percent of stations in the UK are step- free at present, the government should ensure that every public area is equipped with  intact barrier-free access. Next, each station may require a periodic inspection on those facilities. Furthermore, the UK transport department can mandate stricter regulation of sidewalks and pavements, preventing parking, or unnecessary street furniture in public spaces. Within the healthcare system, medical institutions should strengthen training resources for doctors and nurses, equipping them a better communication strategy with disabled patients. In addition, England can focus on promoting disabled doctors in each medical institution. It’s more efficient for disabled patients to describe symptoms with doctors with disabilities. In the process of reablement, doctors and nurses should employ a patient-centered approach and focus  on the physical conditions of disabled patients. Finally, as 75 percent of disabled patients had experienced at least some difficulties accessing health services (78 percent) and social services (74 percent), regulators must take actions to make sure that medical advice services are online 24 hours a day. The government can work with the NHS to launch an app for appointments, treatment and rehabilitation counseling for people with disabilities.

Disabled people are the world's largest minority, they have unique values but lack an equal opportunity to unlock their vast potentials. If we can remove the barriers and create a better environment for them where they don't have to deal with these bstacles, they will be able to live a worthwhile life like Hawking did so that they will contribute more to the planet. For England, the next step is to focus on execution rather than policy design for disabled people. If England can bridge the gap between the goal and the current situation, it would act as an inspiration for the rest of the world. There is no Planet B, a fact that we should be motivated rather than frightened by. We have only one planet but different plans and chances to cherish our home on Planet A.


The author's comments:

Inequality is widespread in our society. I once saw a man with a disabled leg attemptingtrying to board a bus - there were seats for the disabled on the bus, but it lacked wheelchair accessibility equipment. That was the first time I became aware of the phenomenon of social inequality. Later, I conducted two studies on disabled welfare policy and barrier-free in public places. Gradually, I developed a strong interest in the underlying causes of this inequity and tried to find ways to address it from the root.