Future Serial Killers | Teen Ink

Future Serial Killers

April 14, 2023
By evaschuetz SILVER, Tirana, Alabama
evaschuetz SILVER, Tirana, Alabama
6 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
yo


     30 confirmed kills, over 100 possible murders, and over 30 confirmed cases of sexual assault, all done by one person. Ted Bundy is one of the most infamous serial killers in history and is thought to have killed his first victim by the age of 14. And while we can’t go back in time and change this, there is a way to possibly prevent more serial killers in the future. Children over the age of 13 should be tried similarly to adults for intentional murder. This form of punishment could be going to prison (for a shortened amount of time) plus receiving serious help. 
     The most important reason that children should be tried like adults for murder is to prevent that same child from growing up and committing more murders. This may seem like it doesn’t relate since serial killers are typically above the age of 30 and are known to have had their first kill around that age. Although, as mentioned before, Ted Bundy, who is one of the most notorious serial killers, killed his first victim when he was 14. And while he didn’t get caught, if he did and got let go, he would still end up killing as many people as he did. While if he got caught, and put in prison, this would end up saving over 100 innocent victims’ lives. It is also proven that children with violent tendencies have a higher chance of becoming serial killers, and murdering innocent victims is certainly a sign of violent tendencies.  
     Currently, the law of child imprisonment varies by country. In most countries, children are sent to therapists or watched over by the government and do not receive any form of actual punishment by the law. Coincidentally, these are the countries with the highest number of serial killers. For example, the United States has the highest number of serial killers, at around 3,204, and the law for child murderers is light. Differently, in the majority of Europe, children are typically put to jail in case of murder and receive serious mental help, and Europe has barely had any known serial killers, with only about 100 ever.  
     Some may argue that children’s brains aren’t developed fully until they turn 20 and that they do not know the severity of murdering someone, and what the consequences are. While it is true their brains aren’t fully developed, the idea that they do not understand why it is bad and what the consequences are is just untrue. Kids learn from a very young age through movies and books that killing is not acceptable and very wrong. I know for a fact when I was 13, I understood why murdering people is horrible, and that this would have serious consequences. 
     Others may bring up the argument that kids do not have good impulse control, and that some of these killings may come from uncontrollable anger. Except, this is a whole different level of anger. These children should certainly learn the consequences, get punished, and get serious help if they kill someone. Otherwise, who’s to say they won't go and kill another innocent person when they get angry?  
     In conclusion, all these examples and reasons are why children should be tried similarly to adults for intentional murder. This could be in the form of reduced jail time and going to mental hospitals. If this does end up happening in more countries, the number of serial killers could decrease by a lot, saving hundreds or thousands of innocent people's lives in the future.  


The author's comments:

This is my opinion on whether children should get punished for intentional murder or not.