What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

A sight among every American dwelling: a flag flying near. Delicately painted with 50 pearlescent stars and 13 vibrant stripes, some red some blue. Reminding all that pass by of the states and colonies that fought endlessly to craft a nation everyone would take great pride in. 

A pride so strong, students recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, stating “... the republic for which it stands.” The pledge demonstrates gratitude for the men and women who fight for our freedom every day. The flag unites us all. 

A sense of unity for our nation, the sacred item brings citizens together. After 9/11, a flag was flown above the rubble. It brought solidarity to Americans, a symbol of our nation's strength. That flag has since been donated to the memorial museum, where visitors can experience the emotion the flag carries. 

The flag carries stories of the millions of men and women that have fought for our country. Stories of friendship, life, and death. Our flag carries a multitude of emotions – gratitude, hope, and sadness. Through it all, the flag symbolizes the determination of all who serve. A determination to keep moving forward and to be the best nation we can be.