“It Is Time That We All See Gender As A Spectrum Instead Of Two Sets Of Opposing Ideals” | Teen Ink

“It Is Time That We All See Gender As A Spectrum Instead Of Two Sets Of Opposing Ideals”

May 10, 2022
By BreReilly26 BRONZE, Alexandria, Virginia
BreReilly26 BRONZE, Alexandria, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you know that feeling that you get when you try on a piece of clothing and feel all the confidence in the world? When you feel like you can do anything and be anything and no one can stop you? When you feel like yourself. Well, what if that piece of clothing was labeled “male” or “female”.  What if that alone makes you not feel like yourself, even if it's the thing you want to wear. 

When you walk into a clothing store you usually see two sections- one labeled for men and the other for women. But what if I was a woman who wanted to wear something in the men’s section? Why does this piece of clothing need to be assigned to a certain gender if I am not that gender but I feel like myself in it?  So my question is, why is something as unique and expressive as clothing, be limited to one gender or the other. 

Clothing has been a way for people to express themselves since the 1920s flappers. Flappers were women who went against the expectations of women's culture in the 20s. They wore short skirts and high heels and walked around like they owned the place because they were wearing what made them feel confident despite the clothing norms of the time period. Since then people have used clothing to truly express themselves in ways words don't have the power to do. I think that eliminating labels in clothing will send the message that you can be whoever you want and wear whatever you want. 

I understand that this may be difficult because many people prefer to have these sections to make their shopping experiences easier. But there are many alternatives to separating clothes. There is separating them by articles of clothing like shirts in one place and pants in the other. Since typically women and men have different body structures, therefore, needing different things out of clothing, there can be labels like short-cut jeans or high-waisted leggings instead of just “men” and “women”. All it takes is a little creativity to organize your clothes in a fun and more inclusive way. 

I think that fixing the problem of clothing being limited will create better self-confidence and self-image. One of the most important things for teens now is to understand that being yourself and feeling confident when doing it is the key to a healthier lifestyle. “It is time that we all see gender as a spectrum instead of two sets of opposing ideals.” - Emma Watson


The author's comments:

Hi, I am Bre Reilly, an 8th grader at Saint Stephens and Saint Agnus School in Alexandria, Virginia. I am doing a capstone project at school where I write an editorial on something I am passionate about. I choose social issues, specifically gender neutrality in clothing. Thank you so much for reading my article.