What in the world is an abortion? | Teen Ink

What in the world is an abortion?

October 23, 2021
By Eligovar BRONZE, Tlaquepaque, Other
Eligovar BRONZE, Tlaquepaque, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Britannica is a online encyclopedia in wich we can read about what is an abortion, in a especific term, abortion is “the expulsion of a fetus from the uterus before it has reached the stage of viability”. Is important to focus in the point of the viability to avoid the misunderstanding of the aborion as an act that kills a baby, on the contrary, the interruption of pregnancy is the expulsion of one product from a woman's body that is not able to survive by itself.


There are two types of abortion: the induced abortion and the miscarriage. The difference between these two is the intention; we see that a miscarriage happens spontaneously while an induced abortion (as its name says) is on purpose. As Britannica says “miscarriages occur for many reasons, including disease, trauma, genetic defect, or biochemical incompatibility of mother and fetus” and the induced abortions may be performed “to preserve the life or physical or mental well-being of the mother; to prevent the completion of a pregnancy that has resulted from rape or incest; to prevent the birth of a child with serious deformity, mental deficiency, or genetic abnormality; or to prevent a birth for social or economic reasons”. This means that the second type of abortion is most likely to be a decision, even though is not always like that if we see it with gender perspective. 


At this moment, we can recognize that not all abortions are desired and we can identificate that there are many reasons why a woman would want to go through an abortion process. In fact, talk about abortion is not easy, there are still have a lot of taboos around the topic but instead of hidding the information, is better to put it within the reach of everyone, so everyone can reflect and decide on their own body.


The author's comments:

I'm a mexican. I'm studying Governmental Administration and Public Policies in Universidad de Guadalajara, i'm also a counselor at my Division in CUCEA. 

I love politics, and I dedicate my life to it (in my bachelor's degree, my work and my hobbies) because I believe in the essence of the State and the power of the people to make things go better.