Chinese parents are so anxious | Teen Ink

Chinese parents are so anxious

December 21, 2020
By ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other
ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reflect our lives through film and television


      As an increasing development of our society, there is an increasing number of Chinese parents being anxious about their children's schoolwork. In China in 2020, 28.6 percent of parents are very anxious, while 46.5 percent were relatively anxious. Meanwhile, 82.5 percent of parents consider that accompanying their children to study is the most meaningful things in their lives. In my opinion, there are three reasons behind this phenomenon, which are the traditional concept that Chinese parents place too much emphasis on academic scores, the lack of confidence in China's education and culture, and the increasingly fierce competition for employment in the future.

        To begin with, much emphasis on academic scores is an important factor in making Chinese parents anxious. In Chinese history, an imperial competitive examination has a huge impact on every Chinese, which is a kind of exam to select officers by high academic scores. This is the main method for ancient civilians to become officers and raise their social hierarchies. Therefore, as time goes on, obtaining excellent academic scores is the most important thing in Chinese students' study. Today, the way to enter into Chinese top universities is still attaining high scores on the National College Entrance Exam, which is also the only requirement to enter top universities in China. As a result, Chinese parents are deeply sensitive about the exam scores of their children. In 2019, 78.1 percent of Chinese parents are most concerned about their children's academic performances. This problem is determined by the Chinese sense of values for thousands of years, which is a fact that cannot be changed in a short term.  In this way, if exam scores of their children are lower than other, such anxiety will among Chinese parent.

        Besides this, with the increasing development of our society and largely increasing of populations, there is increasing peer pressure among Chinese students, which leads to a large amount of anxiety for Chinese parents. Peer competitions become fierce. Therefore, Chinese parents are anxious about the futures of their children, such as their opportunities for careers. In this way, Chinese parents are concerned with the academic performances of their children and other skills of hobbies such as singing and dancing, which causes a feeling of anxiety. As a result, when they compare their children to others, it can be frustrating to find that their children are worse than others in both areas.  Thus, Chinese parents begin to worry that their children may not get great jobs in the future, because of lacking academic scores and talent skills. Gradually, they are anxious about the future developments of their children, because of such peer pressure.

        The last thing is that Chinese parents being anxious means lacking confidence in Chinese education, to some extent. Most of today's parents were born in the 1970s or 1980s, meaning that they experienced a period when China's society was relatively closed, the economy was underdeveloped and the education industry was stagnant, resulting in a lack of confidence in the country's education. The number of Chinese students studying abroad in 2017 showed a trend of rapid growth. The number of Chinese students studying abroad in 2017 increased by 11.7 percent over last year.  Chinese parents are increasingly anxious about the competitiveness of their children in the world, especially in international competitions. Becasuing of lacking confidence in their national confidence, some Chinese parents send their children to study abroad. However, the rest of the parents who may not have similar conditions are anxious about the futures of their children.

        To conclude, more and more Chinese parents are anxious about studying for their children.  The only way to fight anxiety is to adjust your em0tions and change the world with a calm mind.


The author's comments:

Nowadays, Chinese parents become increasing anxious about their children studying. This article tells you the reason about this situation.