Finding Freedom To Speak Up Through Equine Assisted Psychotherapy | Teen Ink

Finding Freedom To Speak Up Through Equine Assisted Psychotherapy

By DolphinGirl1 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
DolphinGirl1 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Serving our country takes sacrifice, courage, and determination. I can’t imagine being at war or fighting for our country, but I appreciate the brave men and women who do or who have done this. Thanks to those courageous people, I have the right to stand up for what I believe in. Thanks to those courageous people, I have freedom of speech.

During fifth grade, I encountered and endured hardships. I felt sudden, searing desires to speak up in class, but was silenced at the thought of hearing spiteful responses.

Many nights, I sat in bed sobbing into my well-worn pillow after facing a day of vicious, violent words. I could barely sleep and I became withdrawn. Eventually, I stopped talking completely. I dreaded going to school. My anxiety was so severe I would either refuse to leave my bed or I would lock myself in a bathroom stall until I was sent home early. My grades suffered and I felt worthless and alone.

Days seemed like years until I started horseback riding at Lifestriders Therapeutic Riding Center in Waukesha, Wisconsin.  Suddenly, my life improved. I made two friends: Xena and Meghan.

Xena was the horse I rode and Meghan was the person who rode alongside me. We faced the same challenges and they both understood how I felt. I learned when I have the chance to advocate for myself, I have to do it.  

Freedom of speech is the right to say what I believe in and to advocate for myself.  Until Lifestriders, I didn’t have the comforting gift and knowledge of a friend.

Freedom of speech is being able to stand up for myself and what I believe in. I am grateful to all the brave men and women who serve our country to defend our right to express ourselves and I am thankful for my freedom of speech.

I have ADHD and Asburgers Syndrom (mild form of autism) I have faced a lot of challenges in my 16 years of life. Writing is the perfect way for me to share my story. I hope that after reading this you realize that everyone deserves to be heard and treated nicely and fairly. I also thank all those people who risk their lives for our rights and country.