LandMine | Teen Ink

LandMine

I imagine myself as a landmine. Most people reading this would likely believe the writing prompt we were given, “I imagine myself as….”  would warrant an answer involving a living object. But I believe there is nothing in this world of ours that better describes what I am than a landmine. There are many reasons why I believe this fact and why it fits myself.

Many people know what a landmine is, but for those who do not, here is the definition of a landmine. Landmines are defined as: inanimate objects that our military and/or hostile militias use. They are very explosive and many different types. The one manufactured the most is a very small circular object. It is placed underground so as to not be visible to the naked eye. It then lays there in wait until someone or something steps on it or puts pressure on it. So, if you happen to step on one and pick your foot off of it, well let us just say you might lose more than a toe.

That brings me to the first point of why I imagine myself as a landmine. I really hate when people step all over me or a fellow student. It's super annoying because we are all human and though we are not all the same, we should respect each there.  It is unacceptable for people to joke around with me about my learning disability. It makes me want to go yell at them because it has taken me years of hard work to move out of resource and has required me to overcome so much. People do not understand the challenging part of having a disability and not being able to do as well as others can in certain aspects of life can be very frustrating and depressing. Hearing the ridicule and jest makes me feel stepped on and ready to explode.

Another major reason I liken myself to a landmine is that when people my age do not start acting like adults and instead act very immature, I feel like I am buried underground and being walked on. When I witness this behavior at school, I get mad and lecture them. It is like I am talking to six-year olds and they do not understand what maturity even means. It's also like when I was an instructor at Tiger-Rock. If a student were to act out we would call them out on it in front of everyone or lecture them. However, the major difference is they actually listen as they want to do right and be liked in class. I try to depress the feeling by ignoring the pressure that I feel building and release it by laughing at others acting so immature.   

An explosive feeling is also created for me when people disrespect higher authority. I see it everyday and everyday it makes me want to yell at those involved. Why do I care so much? Well it's because in my family we would never be allowed to have such attitude. I was raised to be respectful and follow the directions of my elders or those in a position of an authority. It is one thing to disrespect someone but it is a whole other thing to disrespect someone in a position of authority. I believe such behavior shows someone’s true colors and how they fail to care about a person and only care about themselves. Second, it shows someone has no manners of any kind. I guarantee you if these people were to exhibit this behavior during ancient times they would have been killed or made a public example of. Finally, it says that the person will more than likely not go anywhere in life. They will not have a good job, family, friends and many other things could be out there for them.

In the end, these are the main reasons that I can imagine myself as a landmine. After taking the time to consider this writing prompt and truly analyze myself I considered several different answers but landed on landmine as it reflected my reactions to things that are so near and dear to me. I am truly a righteous and moral individual who can be easily stirred by the actions and behaviors of others. I believe in doing right and following the laws of society. However, going forward since I am more conscious of how I tend to react, I am going to try not to let the injustices of the world make me so angry and reimagine myself as a furry jacket in a winter storm.

In class are teacher has us do writing promts every week. I really enjoy them! After five of them he gives us a assignment to write one with 750-1000 words. So we get to chose which ever one we want to write about. This article ment so much to me. It has so many of my built up feelings in it. It was nice being able to write with such passion. This pices is about what do you see your self as and why and I chose a landmine.