Cell Phones at School | Teen Ink

Cell Phones at School

February 7, 2017
By iiris SILVER, Tirane, Other
iiris SILVER, Tirane, Other
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

I  don't  agree that  cell phones  should  be  banned  in  school  because  they  are very  useful  and  can  be  used  for  many  positive  purposes. Some  people  disagree  because  they say  that  these  mobile  devices  can  be  a  distraction  for  students  and  might  be  used  for  cheating  or  other  inappropriate  purposes. Furthermore,  banning  cell  phones  is  not  a  solution  anyways  because  many  students  will  still  break  the  rule.


Many  schools  are  trying  to  establish  a  new  rule  where  students  won't  be  allowed  to  bring  mobile  devices  in  school. Educators  worldwide  think  that  this  ban  is  important  because  students  will  see  better  academic  results. Meanwhile,  the  majority  of  students  find  this  unreasonable  and  consider  it  as  absurdity.


Having  cell  phones  in  school  has  many  advantages  and  one  of  them  is  for  safety  purposes. Many  parents  defend  cell  phones  because  their  children  can  use  them  is  case  of  an  emergency. Even  though  school  can  communicate  with  the  parents  in  emergencies, it  would  be  better  if  students  have  their  own  phone  and  access  to  their  parents  directly. Also  they  can  tell  their  parents  for  any  change  in  their  schedule  and  the  time  they  must pick  them  up  without  going  to  the  school  office. The  purpose  of  all  this  it  to  make  their  children  independent  and  responsible  so  they  don't  have  to  depend  on  someone  else.


The  new  phone  technology  makes  it  a  valuable  learning  tool. Rather  than  viewing  it  as  a  distraction, cell  phones  should  be  seen  as  a  real  tool  that  students  should  learn  how  to  use  during  class  time. Many  teachers  ask  the  students  to  use  their  phones  in  class  for  educational  purposes. These  defenders  want  to  educate  their  students  how  to  be  responsible  and  use  their  mobile  phones  in  an  appropriate  way.  Also  the  lesson  becomes  more  fun  and  interesting  for  the  students. For  example, many  teachers  use  Kahoot! in  their  classrooms. The  students  have  a  lot  of  fun  using  this  free  game-based  learning  platform  and  it  encourages  the  whole  class  for  participation.


According  to  a  study  conducted  in  2015, Sonja  Lyubomirsky, Laura  King,  and  Ed  Diener  found  that  happiness  causes  success. Therefore  if  students  are  happy  they  will  be  more  willing  to  learn, more  productive, and  more  likely  to  succeed. And  isn't  that  what everyone  wants?  Cell  phones  in  class  will  bring  that  happiness  because  the  lesson  will  become  more  entertaining  and  the  students  won't  get  bored.


Those  who  oppose  cell  phones  in  school  say  that  they  are  a  distraction  in  class because  students  can  use  them  for  texting  or  playing  games. Anyways,  I  think  that  there  won’t  be  any  distraction  if  the  phones  are  turned  off  and  kept  in  pocket.


Another  concern  is  that  cell  phones  are  used  for  cheating  in  exams. Students  will open  google  to  find  the   answers  or  text  someone  else  to  help  them. Not  having  cell  phones  in  school  doesn't  mean  that  students  will  stop  cheating  because  they  can  find  plenty  more  methods  to  cheat. Anyways, a  solution  might  be  to  keep  the  phones  in a  phone  box  inside  the  classroom  during  exams.


Considering  the  minor  distractions, I  find  it  unreasonable  to  ban  cellphones  in  schools. Still, guidelines  are  necessary  to  control  acceptable  use: keep  the  phones   on  silence, keep  them  in  pocket, and  use  only  with  permission. It's  clear  that  cell  phone  technology  is  here  to  stay. Just  as  schools  have  adapted  to  technological  changes  in  the  past—calculators, internet—they  will  learn  to  cope  with  the  new  technology   of  today.


The author's comments:

In this evaluation essay I shared my personal opinion about cell phones in school and why they should not be banned.