The student matters, Do grades? | Teen Ink

The student matters, Do grades?

May 20, 2024
By JhoRCan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
JhoRCan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“you’re number 35 in class rank? Not to brag or anything but  I'm 11th” or “You’ll never be as good as me, I'm top 5% of my class”  In discussion of modern education, society places a great deal of emphasis on grades and academic achievement. However, it is important to acknowledge that grades, while not defining a student's identity, can serve as crucial indicators to track an individual's personal performance throughout schooling and can be used as a marker to determine an individual's future educational plan. 

While I hold the belief that a student's identity is not solely based on academic performance, I recognize the significance of grades and their ability to serve as markers to indicate an individual's self growth. In “Your Grades Don’t Define You But They Do Matter '' written and published by Therese Castro, a High school student from Texas, she writes, “Grades don’t define you. Those numbers on your transcripts aren’t labels on your forehead. You are so much more. However, good grades are important because they give people an idea of your academic strengths, interests, and ability to learn new things.” I believe that this is an accurate representation of what more grades can be used for as grades offer insights beyond academic performance; they reflect an individual’s dedication, ability to learn, and capacity which employers may be looking for. In essence, not only do grades allow a student to track their scholarly advancement, but they can be used as a guide individuals can use toward their future career. 

Additionally, as highlighted by Hillary Lee, a second-year editor for The Scribe, she states, “Occupations don’t solely view your application based on education but rather your qualifications, personal experiences, and most importantly, connections.” Lee’s statement reinforces the idea that while grades are important, they are not a sole determinant of an individual’s ability to accomplish a task. For instance, everyone can have the same grade in a class but not everyone will have the same level of dedication or work ethic, and ultimately, that is what an employer is looking for. Following this, if grades were to determine an individual’s worth, we would see an unnecessary amount of competition which would ultimately lead to a toxic and possibly unsafe learning environment. Ironically, most schools implement a system that does just that, class rank. Class rank is a measure of how a student’s performance compares to other students within their grade and is often ridiculously competitive, especially when it comes down to the top 10 students of the class. Some may say that class rank can be an incentive to push students to do their best to try and be superior amongst their peers even claiming class ranks is “friendly competition” that enables students to stride for greatness. I believe this assertion is not entirely accurate. I believe that this system fosters unnecessary competition and teaches students to work against their peers.

 It is evident that while grades hold a significant value in today's education, it is important to understand their limitations and boundaries in defining a student's identity. Rather than basing a students identity on grades, grades can serve as valuable markers of academic growth. Furthermore, highlighted by Hillary Lee, future employers may look at a transcript to see qualities such as hard work and dedication rather than who you were in the 10th grade. Additionally, grades and certain grade systems, such as class rank, may foster unwanted and unneeded competition that can form toxic environments which can ultimately lead to distraction. After all, what matters most is the future of the student themselves beyond the classroom.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          Works consulted


Lee, Hillary. “Do Grades Define Excellence? – The Scribe.” Do Grades Define Excellence?, The Scribe, 19 May 2023, scribewilcox.com/4394/op-ed/do-grades-define-excellence/. Accessed 21 April 2024. 

Castro, Therese. “Your Grades Don't Define You, But They Do Matter.” Your Grades Don't Define You, But They do Matter, CollegeXpress, 12 November 2015, collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/majors-and-academics/blog/your-grades-dont-define-you-they-do-matter/. Accessed 21 April 2024.