Progress or Relativity | Teen Ink

Progress or Relativity

By cindyloo555 BRONZE, Highland, Utah
cindyloo555 BRONZE, Highland, Utah

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Words seem to flow anywhere and everywhere, all thanks to the Internet. People can share, discuss and debate ideas ubiquitously from personal forum blogs to simple YouTube comments. The World Wide Web has really begun to stretch all over the globe. It is an incredible tool. However, instead of using its resources for knowledge, career opportunities, or collaborative ideas to solve real problems, most people use it for the commonplace, mundane activities soon forgotten in our day-to-day lives. I suppose not everyone can be the Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg of their generation, but we could spend more time using our technology to grow as people, instead of wasting our time with useless diversions. The worst possible crime of this generation is not the waste of a good tool, however; it’s the misuse and abuse of it.  Hate and insults pour non-stop onto the Internet, and directly towards the unfortunate victims themselves. The continuous sludge of ill treatment flows unceasingly, and only seems to be getting worse.

In the past, people were still rude and judgmental of course, but they had a much smaller scope to inflict their punishment. An individual’s influence reached only throughout their inner circles. Today, people can insult and criticize random strangers, people they have not even met before! It’s strange that even the smallest comments can set people off onto a self-righteous tirade of indignation and outrage. When did we become so ridiculous and petty? What gave us a say in other people’s lives? The possible answer is that the Internet gives a complex range of lack of privacy and also total anonymity. We can connect with so many types of people from all over the world; boundaries have been erased now that the Internet reaches through walls and fences directly into individuals’ homes. There is also a certain protection the Internet provides, as someone commenting online will never have to meet the people they talk to or confront them face to face in their lifetime.

This removal of intimacy seems to dehumanize people on the receiving end of this online bullying, but the people and effects of this issue are very real. Studies show that 1 in 4 teens have been cyberbullied and 1 in 6 have admitted to bullying someone else online. This problem is not just affecting teens in high school, however. The average users on Twitter and other social media websites are between the ages of 18 to 24, where abuse of this kind is an everyday occurrence.

So why do we consistently and willfully hurt other people? Why do we find it funny to annoy and make fun of others? We know it’s wrong. We know it can have devastating effects, but we continue to do it anyway. It seems the old saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” has long since fallen out of style. More likely it was never really popular in the first place. Oscar Wilde aptly described society’s faults when he said, “Hear no evil, speak no evil, and you’ll never be invited to a party.” Disparaging comments and stereotypical jests are funny and entertaining, unless you are on the receiving end,of course.

In today’s society, it would seem that everyone’s obsession with being politically correct and accepting of those previously in the minority would mean we have made progress in overall acceptance and peace. However, it seems where we have moved forward in some aspects, we have digressed in others. It’s great that those who have suffered trials and injustices in the past are receiving more respect and the equal opportunities they deserve. However, it seems that if someone is not wholeheartedly for certain ideals, they are immediately torn down and attacked on all sides by the majority. Therefore people are generally more accepting and supportive of others, if it’s the politically popular thing to do. What happens to other people with different beliefs, ideas, and cultural backgrounds? What about the minorities that are completely forgotten in the press and media? People claim to support all minorities, but do they honestly believe in equal opportunities for them? It seems that even though we try, differences in skin color are still prevalent in the back of everyone’s mind, and loyalty to certain races are culture are deeply ingrained in our communities. Is a society where everyone is kind and compassionate to everyone, regardless of differences in background and opinion even possible? It seems like worldwide love and peace will always be a myth, but does it have to be?

I don’t think we will ever get to the point where conflict is completely eradicated from the earth. We can’t even be continually be agreeable to the human beings that gave us life or our friends that we love to spend time with. It’s just not in our nature. However, we can improve our overall respect of other people, especially when it comes to our behavior online. We can work on being more patient and more understanding.  Disagreements and differences of opinion can be carried out in a more respectful manner. Misunderstandings can be sorted out. In an environment where tone, inflection, and facial expressions cannot be properly communicated, it’s even more important that we withhold judgment until we really know what a person is trying to say. Lastly, unnecessary rudeness and meanness should be eliminated in our conversations with people in all aspects of our life. There’s no reason for it, and certain things should be left unsaid.

In this age of technology, we are more privileged than ever, and we are blessed with greater opportunities than ever before. I challenge all of us to be a little smarter, a little kinder, and a little more responsible with these invaluable tools.  We should try to uplift ourselves and everyone around us on a daily basis. Who doesn’t want to be the best they can be? Thanks to the Internet, our options for individual growth are endless.