Perfect Body Image Compromise | Teen Ink

Perfect Body Image Compromise

February 17, 2014
By KyleVolleyball15 BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado
KyleVolleyball15 BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Perfect Body Image Compromise


Today in America our society and media influences most adolescents and adults to make themselves almost exact replicas of G.I. Joes and Barbie dolls. The media influences people how they should have a perfect body image by bombarding advertisements with images of models who are considered perfect. These images influence guys to create a big muscular body, and for girls to create a skinny. The fashion industry plays a role in girls to have a skinny complexion by causing girls to develop eating disorders in order to get that perfect body. People will use plastic surgery as an escape route to avoiding working themselves to a better healthier body. Instead of working out and eating healthy they might just get fat sucked out of them to accomplish perfect beauty immediately. Lastly, individuals, mainly adolescents who share similar physical traits, and interests are more likely to be friends and interact with each other. Where as adolescents with larger body sizes are more likely to interact with adolescents who are similar to them. And sometimes students who have larger body sizes may develop a lack of social skills because of their size. With that said, the media influences people and adolescents to have a perfect body image, to use plastic surgery as the easy way to have a perfect body, and that adolescents will have relations with physically similar adolescents and that's a problem with today’s society.


People and adolescents are bombarded with images in magazines, movies, television, and even through music that show people what America believes as beautiful, and what they need to do to achieve the goal of beauty that our society has created. The concern that adolescents have with weight and body image can put them at risk of having an eating disorder. Especially in adolescent girls. The most common wish amongst adolescent girls to lose weight. According to the Eating Disorders Association, “Eating disorders develop as outward signs of inner emotional or psychological distress or problems. They become the way that people cope with difficulties in their life” (Introduction to Body Image). Guys are influenced to have a muscular body, because those are the types of guys you will see in Abercrombie & Fitch commercials. And girls are influenced to have a skinny complexion, because they are influenced by commercials like Victorias Secret. Because of the fashion industry showing these images of skinny girls, adolescent girls will develop an eating disorder. Why? Because it’s okay to do in order to have a perfect body. In the 1950s the ideal perfect woman would be a Marilyn Monroe and a Jane Russell. They were exaggeratedly feminine, with soft skin, fleshy bodies, curvy hips and large breasts(Introduction to Body Image). The media will show images of skinny girls and muscular guys, because in America a perfect body image will be deemed as beautiful.
Plastic surgery can be used in both a therapeutic and aesthetic manner. Restoration of the form and function of practically any part of the human body, while aesthetic plastic surgery focuses on improving an individual’s physical appearance(Fresh Faces). Therapeutic surgery can be used for a reason. For example a soldier whose face could be blown half off because of a grenade explosion. Or a child born with a physical deformity, like Cleft Lip. As far as aesthetic surgery, it isn’t necessary. People are beautiful and perfect how they are without any surgery. For example, Kristin wanted a new and better nose. But doctors said she would have to wait at least a year before considering cosmetic surgery. At 15, Kristin got her wish. A Boston plastic surgeon performed the long-awaited rhinoplasty during her school's spring break. "It turned out exactly how I wanted it," Kristin, now 17, says, "I feel like my face finally fits together.” Most girls at her west suburban high school told her she looked pretty and praised her new look(Fresh Faces). People in America spent 12.5 billion dollars on cosmetic surgery in 2012. This, a 465% increase since that in 1997(Fresh Faces). Plastic surgery okay will be needed under certain circumstances. Circumstances like a half blown off face caused by war or a baby who needs surgery for their lip. Comedian Daniel Tosh had a few words about his position on plastic surgery, “I'm all for women who get plastic surgery, because plastic surgery allows you to make your outer appearance resemble your inner appearance, fake. We have shows like Extreme Makeover: "I don't want to develop a personality, just cut my face! Stretch it and staple it. Now I'm happy, or at least I look like it"(Daniel Tosh). Plastic surgery can mold people to the perfect body image they want, and they are influenced by society.
In high school, adolescents will sometimes interact with other adolescents that are physically similar to each other. That isn’t always the case, but it happens every day. There are four mechanisms as defined in the article Gender, body size and social relations in American high schools. The four mechanisms are social stigma, withdrawal, homophily, and profiling. Social stigma, when a personal characteristic carries a stigma in a certain context. Withdrawal, when individuals who have a personal characteristic that they believe will be made fun of are likely to avoid socializing and making new friends. Homophily, when individuals who share similar physical traits, demographic characteristics, personalities and interests are much more likely to connect. Profiling, the fourth mechanism, where a persons certain characteristic(s) ishow that person will be profiled. For example, larger adolescents are more likely to have a lack of social skills(Crosnoe). Students will be with other students based on their physical appearance. For example, wrestlers will be with other wrestlers, and swimmers will be with other swimmers. Both are different, wrestlers are normally smaller, more muscular, and quick. Whereas male swimmers are normally lean, tall and hairless. Teenagers will most likely interact with other adolescents of similar physical stature as themselves.
Today’s media influences people and adolescents to create the perfect body image. Showing that plastic surgery as the easy way to have a perfect body, and that adolescents will have relations with physically similar adolescents. The fashion industry and media will play roles in promoting body image by putting images of beautiful and perfect people into other people’s heads, and causing eating disorders in women, and guys an urge to become muscular. Plastic surgery is the easiest way to become perfect, but it isn’t necessary if a young woman will just get a breast augmentation. And lastly, physically similar adolescents will interact amongst each other. So, the media should start to show Americans as they truly are. Beautiful exactly how they are, and not following the fashion industries rule of fat won’t sell fashion.


The author's comments:
There is a major issue with our society and how it tells people to look.