Perfect? Not Me | Teen Ink

Perfect? Not Me

By TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other
TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

Hello. I have 2 ears, 2 eyes, 1 nose and a mouth. I am human. But it looks like it isn’t enough. They tell me that the colour of my eyes is important and so is the shape of my nose. They judge me on how my lips look and on how perfect my skin is. They define perfect on fashion trends and media madness. They tell me that the hair on my arms is unwanted and if I don’t get them off I’ll be unwanted too. But if I shave the hair on my head, I am mad. They say I have got it all wrong. In India, people are going to fairness clinics while Americans are getting tan; in China the size if your foot decides if you’re acceptable or not. They tell me size 0 is too thin and size 10 is too fat. My cheeks are supposed to be pink and my lips are to be red. Sometimes I get scared on how much I am judged everyday and how little attention they pay to my abilities and inner self. I am supposed to be hot. They tell me smart girls get cats and being stupid is in. I can feel the pimples eating on my skin telling me it’s time for my cosmetics regime. I have a test tomorrow; it’s facial versus my education. Maybe you’ll blindly tell me to study and conclude I am a fool. But it’s not so simple. They make a mockery out of everyone who they consider to be imperfect. I want to please everyone, and yet I fail. I look at my chipped nails and sigh; maybe I am not made for this. But they tell me everyone is. They tell me being human isn’t enough; I am supposed to match their imagination of a 16 year old girl. I put my book away as I concentrate on impressing the ‘cute’ guy in my class because I am told that’s all there is to life. I hate my lopsided fat nose. I hate myself.

Something close to my heart.

bellariptor PLATINUM, Lexington, Massachusetts

Poetry is the soundtrack to my life, the lyrics are my thoughts accompanied by the melody of my emotions.

Wow, so honest and to the point! :)