Technology | Teen Ink

Technology

By CreativeModelSould ELITE, Punta Gorda, Florida
CreativeModelSould ELITE, Punta Gorda, Florida

"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Telephones, televisions, computers, blenders, and washing machines are all different bodies that house technology. It has become a huge part of the world. I see technology as an invention, just like many others, that has its pros and cons. Technology has corrupted many people’s minds and taken over our lives, but it has also made life easier and more connected, and it provides information we couldn’t get as quickly without it.

When I discuss the corruption of thoughts and character of human beings, I am talking about the rise in murder, robberies, slave trafficking, bullying, fission in families, and so much more drama since the introduction of technology in people’s homes. It takes over their lives. Young boys are violent and not doing homework because they are too busy killing people in video games. Young girls are going bulimic and chasing after guys because they watch things like Jersey Shore and Skins. Married men and women are divorcing because they watch people being single and sleeping around, even in “harmless” shows like Golden Girls or they get caught up in pornography, (Which is ALL over the internet).They cut off communication because their lives revolve around the computer, the telephone, and the television.

Of course, even though technology has had some very negative effects on people’s lives, it has made many people’s lives easier and has helped them to be able to fellowship with their friends and family. The computer has allowed many to do school online. It has also allowed overseas contact. Telephones can let us call people in the house next to us or across the world. We can make hot food in five minutes now in an oven or on a stove top instead of half an hour over a fire. Businesses can expand, cooking and cleaning is faster, and distant friends can stay close to not just your heart, but your home. I just hope that as fast as things are we can still slow down and “smell those roses”.

Furthermore, technology has provided much information. If I need to look up a word I can just type it into a Google search engine. If I have a question I can go onto Yahoo! Answers and ask a wide variety of people that I wouldn’t have been able to communicate with otherwise. If I need to do research on Johann Bach then I could type that into the computer and read books about him. Before technology I would have had to go to the Library and I wouldn’t have been able to keep the book as long as I want.

Technology has helped us to come a long way in a lot of ways. It has added many positives and negatives to our growing world. Technology has besmirched many minds, especially in our younger generations through TV, computer, cell phones, and videogames. It has become the center of many lives and many people have become very codependent on technology. It has also added ease to many lives and has allowed contact between distant family members. The information technology has provided has also changed the world. It is very interesting to think that in order to write this essay on technology I am using technology. It has helped us come very far.