Parents or Tyrants? | Teen Ink

Parents or Tyrants?

By PaolaC. PLATINUM, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
PaolaC. PLATINUM, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Your friends have amazing grades and a nice attitude, but come Friday night, their parents have them home sleeping by 9 o’clock.
Does this sound familiar at all? See, I have wonderful friends but it always surprises me how strict some of their parents are. I understand setting limits to teenagers, especially if they are “out of control”, grounded, or just because their probation officer demands it. However, apart from the occasional problems, like not a getting one hundred percent on a test, some kids have no reason not be out. I’m not implying hard core parties but quiet movies with a familiar group of friends. Believe me, sometimes movies or bowling is too extreme for certain parents to handle.
Now, I can see the argument where it is dangerous to be wandering and I understand their goal is to keep their children safe. Is keeping teens with as my 6th grade teacher once put it, “raging hormones” pent-up at home the answer?
No.
Every action in history will show you that someone will rebel against what they deem unfair. Every television show centered on teen angst follows the similar idea. We all know that the girl will try to escape through her window to meet that boy her parents forbid her of seeing. The obvious, “you want what you cannot have” comes into play. These restricting their kids only make disregarding rules more seductive. If irrational parents could try to comprehend their children, these scenarios could be avoided.
I know this is not the case in all families, some of the guardians I know, including my own, are wonderful. Nevertheless, by speaking openly about this issue you can help others who may be misguided. Always remember that your family loves you but everyone makes mistakes, most that can be calmly resolved. Keep the lines of communication open to your guardians, compromise and try to put yourself in their position when debating an issue. This will show maturity and give you an open-mind.

When a number of you are older, or for some of you the time is now, you may find yourself as a mother or father. By learning from our experience as teens ourselves, it will help the generations to come.

I think we all have friends like these.
As I said, I know this is not happening in all homes. I love my parents!

Comment your opinions, please. :)

ChickenLegHouse BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan

Not really sure what point you were trying to get across here. That parents shouldn't be so protective? People are different and there's ushally a good reason for that. My parents are on the more sheltering side compared to some and I love them for that. Just makes it seem like they care so much more and want to make sure I'm safe as long as they can. That's just me, not saying your wrong or anything.

Every word that you mention in this article is the real truth. Congratulations.

Yeah parenting is different for all kids, I wish it could be more flexible though.

Thanks so much :)

*Check out LuvKirstyn14's work*

KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

\"I\'m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don\'t deserve me at my best.\"
— Marilyn Monroe

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

very well-written :)

AnaSue said...
I agree, I have friends who are the same way. We're old enough to drive but they can't walk around the mall by themselves?!