Barbie’s Magic: Turning Dreams Into Realities | Teen Ink

Barbie’s Magic: Turning Dreams Into Realities

By ditranigiulia BRONZE, Rome, Other
ditranigiulia BRONZE, Rome, Other

In recent times, with the Barbie movie coming out, the debate on the doll sparked once again. Is she a feminist manifesto, showing that you can be whatever you want? Does she just show the way that men see women, hyper-sexualizing them? Does Barbie create insecurities in little girls, or spark dreams and aspirations?

We all know and love Barbie dolls. I’m sure if you think about it, you probably had one as a child. But, the truth is, there’s more to it than just a plastic doll, giving an afternoon of fun to a child. 

Barbie helped girls imagine new and exciting jobs for themselves. Barbie can be a lawyer, an actress, a scientist, an astronaut. Barbie is the embodiment of women, so if she can do it, why wouldn’t I?

Before Barbie, there weren't many toys that showed girls as doctors or engineers. There were toys FOR girls, such as doll childs to play with, where the girl was the non (classic patriarchy-given-role, right?), but never toys ABOUT girls. When Barbie came along, she opened up a world of possibilities. Girls could now dream about being pilots, chefs, and even presidents!

The dolls gave girls the idea that they could be anything they wanted when growing up Barbie helped break the idea that some jobs were only for boys. She showed that girls could be strong, smart, and successful, while also being pretty.

So, the next time you play with a Barbie, remember that she's not just a toy. She is not just a pretty face and body doll. She's a reminder of a very important lesson that nobody, especially girls, should never take for granted. You can be anything you want to be! If you can dream it, you can do it! (More like, if Barbie can do it, so can you!)