wake up this is the world now | Teen Ink

wake up this is the world now

January 8, 2023
By 卂ᗪ卂丨尺3710 BRONZE, London, Other
卂ᗪ卂丨尺3710 BRONZE, London, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Technoblade never dies"


Trends are running the world and nobody seems to have their own style or opinions anymore. Cancel culture, for example, has become such a huge thing that if anyone at all has an opinion that's "uncommon" or isn't agreed with then your career is over.  Or how most teen girls and even preteens all look like grown women, hell I saw a kid who couldn't have been more than 8 years old walking around dressed like Charli D'amelio with the latest iPhone in hand. I'm not saying girls can't dress how they wish to dress but following trends to such an extreme level that people are bullied for not following them is something that I find sickening. People are so absorbed in TikTok that they are getting all these ideas into their heads before they're even old enough to form their own thoughts and opinions so they're left there absorbing everything. You know when I learned all about the LGBTQ? Fourth grade. Fourth grade and I was being introduced to sexuality when none of us had even had a crush yet, let alone dated anybody. I'm not in any way against anyone queer but when it's introduced to the kids like that they think that they have to pick a label for themselves and it confuses them. It's like when little Tommy is a boy and somebody asks him "Little Tommy what pronouns do you want to use?" Tommy doesn't know what pronouns are. Little Tommy is 8-ish and shouldn't think about it until he is at least a teenager with a more mature mind. I thought I was so many things when in reality everyone is simply themselves and there isn't a reason to label everything and/or make it your entire personality. I mean, straight men don't go around announcing things such as "I like women! I like dating women!" While yes the LGBTQ used to be discriminated against everything is going a little too far. Society tries to paint a picture-perfect inaccurate image of girls mostly where they have to be skinny, have large butts and boobs, wear lots of makeup and be "pretty." What in the world is pretty? What is perfect? Women aren't there for the male gaze and to satisfy their sexual desires and at the same time, men aren't there for women to rely on entirely and expect them to pay for things and cater to their every wish and desire. Basically: Men aren't wallets and women aren't objects and vice versa.  Tiktok is turning mental illness into a trend where people are self-diagnosing, faking disorders, and following the crowd to fit in. It's sad that the world is taking this turn. This is just my perspective though and may be different than that of other people.


The author's comments:

This is by far the most controversial thing I'll ever make and for good reason. This isn't made to attack or offend anyone it is just simply my perspective of the world around me. I do understand what certain groups go through however I have the right to speak within my community (queer & & teenager) so it shouldn't be an issue.