Skin Bleaching: The Next Epidemic... | Teen Ink

Skin Bleaching: The Next Epidemic...

By riav1980 BRONZE, Ct, Connecticut
riav1980 BRONZE, Ct, Connecticut

In a world where lighter skin means success, the multi million dollar industry of skin bleaching is expected to advance in the coming years. Products marketed with “instant lighter skin” and “fairness guaranteed” labels seem to be harmless, but do people really know the effects? Thousands of dark skinned girls across the globe are exposed to these toxic beauty standards at a young age. They lose their self worth and resort to these easily accessible products without knowing just how dangerous the ingredients can be. Clearly, these illegal products should be banned from being sold. But will it truly be effective if society and the media repeatedly continuing to label dark skin as “ugly?”

Skin bleaching products and procedures are extremely dangerous and contain many harmful chemicals. They also have not even been approved by the FDA; however people still use them. While it is easy to assume these products are strictly banned, they are still imported and smuggled in, with the help of custom officers. This allows people to have easy access to them in local markets around the world. Some of the toxic ingredients found in these products include mercury, glutathione, and hydroquinone. Although mercury is highly poisonous, it is one of the cheapest substances used for skin lightening. Research reveals that the amount of mercury found in many Filipino skin whitening creams is 42,000 times more than the legal limit. Meanwhile glutathione and hydroquinone are dangerous antioxidants that kill melanin found in your cells. Professional skin whitening treatments such as prescribed pills, laser therapy, and chemical peels are offered, however the average person would resort to cheap skin lightening creams. Prolonged use of these products and procedures are truly petrifying; from red patches and skin ulcers to dermatitis and kidney disorders. Chemical Safety Campaigner, Thony Dizon, says,“It’s a serious concern. These kind of cheap skin whitening creams- you can buy it everywhere.” It is safe to say that the ban of these detrimental products should be further enforced by the government to ensure a safer world of beauty.

Not only are these products unsafe, but the bigger issue is that this standard of light skin is ruining the self worth and pride of girls who look different. Instead of embracing their looks, they are doing everything possible to change them. According to Helene Cooper, a journalist for the New York Times,”Women are now being told that it is wrong, and even illegal, to bleach their skin. At the same time, they are flooded with messages- and not even subliminal ones- that tell them white is beautiful.”  Research from the New York Times  shows that more than 70% of women in West Africa use skin bleaching creams, including young girls. If society doesn’t put an end to this light skin bias, so many girls of the coming generations will be pressured into bleaching their skin. 

However, society is not the only culprit of this light skin culture. Media plays a huge part in it as well- especially in the world of Bollywood and Indian cinema.  Gianna Toboni, a producer for VICE News, went to India to look behind the scenes in an audition for a TV serial.  After observing, she says,” Sometimes when actors are denied parts because of their skin tone, they’ll turn to a booming sector of the Indian beauty industry- skin lightening.” Neha is an aspiring actress who has been rejected from every job only because of her skin color.  After she finally whitens her skin she says, “When I have fair skin, I will get better job opportunities…...”  The fact that someone would have to put themselves and their body in danger just to be qualified for a job is terrible.  And growing up watching these movies, I can attest to the fact that Indian actresses I have seen on TV are always portrayed as either light skinned or use makeup to appear fairer on camera. Despite this, I can understand why the media uses beautiful actresses;beautiful should not have to mean light skin. It is quite clear that the media is indirectly giving yet another reason for women to be bleaching their skin and using these products. Now think about this: Would you bleach your skin for a job?

As skin bleaching starts becoming the next trend across the world, it is extremely important to be aware of not only the physical harms of these products, but the mental harms society is presenting with this bias standard. Laws must be enforced in all countries around the world about these harsh bleaching products with fatal side effects. Society and the media should be the ones to change and evolve; diversity should be loved. But loving yourself and embracing your natural skin color should come first. After learning to embrace your skin color, encourage others to do so as well while spreading positive self love messages everywhere you go. Currently, with more dark skinned models being represented in magazine such as Vogue and TV shows starring dark skinned actresses, society is making progress. And who knows:Maybe the skin bleaching epidemic will vanish because of it. And so I ask, What will YOU do to promote self love for all skin colors in your society?

I wrote this piece as a social commentary for school and I feel that it is a very important issue girls and women face in Asia and Africa and other places around the world. Recently, fair and lovely, an infamous skin whitening cream has rebranded their cream, calling it "Glow and Lovely. "

Many people think this step is great, however I don;t believe it is any less hurtful to dark skinned people. They should be abolishing the whole brand and idea of being fair and lovely instead. Let me know what you think of this in the comments!!