Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

Dystopian literature has grown in popularity drastically over the years. Whether it’s the futuristic setting or the unrealistic technology we can all say we’ve seen or read dystopian literature before. Some of today's popular movies (The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, The Giver, etc) are all dystopian literature movies. Here are some reasons why I think this topic is so popular today.

I believe dystopian literature is so popular because we get to experience how other people react in a ‘perfect world’. This quote shows us how George reacts to the laws of a perfect world. "’If I tried to get away with it,’ said George, ‘then other people'd get away with it-and pretty soon we'd be right back to the dark ages again, with everybody competing against everybody else. You wouldn't like that, would you?’" In this quote George is saying that he basically ‘respects’ the laws Diana Moon Glampers has in place and wouldn’t break them so he’s technically standing down to her messed up rules. This shows that people would stand down to the ridiculous laws of a ‘perfect world’ if this was real life. Another example from Harrison is, “‘Even as I stand here’ be bellowed, ‘crippled, hobled, sickened -  I am greater ruler than any man who ever lived! Now watch me become what I can become’ ,Harrison tore the straps of his handicap harness like a wet tissue paper, tore straps guaranteed to support 5000 pounds.” This quote shows us that even in a ‘perfect world’ there will always be people who stand up against the law.

I also believe audiences are interested in dystopian literature because it could show how the future might be some day.  For example, in the story The Veldt we see how futuristic the technology may be someday. In this quote they are describing how the nursery becomes a realistic simulation. “‘The room was silent and empty. The walls were white and two dimensional. Now, as George and Lydia Hadley stood in the center of the room, the walls made a quiet noise and seemed to fall away into the distance. Soon and african veldt appeared, in three dimensions, on all sides, in color. It looked real to the smallest stone and a bit of yellow summer grass. The ceiling above them became a deep sky with a hot yellow sun.” The Veldt is showing how to future may have full room realistic simulations in houses. This next quote is telling us how the family's house basically does every simple task for them, “‘You mean you want to fry my eggs for me?’ ‘Yes.’ She nodded. ‘And mend my socks?’ ‘Yes.’ she nodded again excitedly, with tears in her eyes. ‘And clean the house?’ ‘Yes, oh yes - oh, yes!’ ‘But I thought that’s why we bought this house, so we wouldn’t have to anything?’” In this story the characters have a house that does literally everything for them such as cook food and clean for them. I think this interest readers because it shows them how life could be for them some day.

My final reason I believe dystopian literature is so popular is because it helps the audiences escape reality. Notice how in this quote Johnny takes his eyes off the road to talk to his wife, “This time though he didn’t even double check the connection. The steering wheel folded and collapsed into the dash, and he turned to face me.” Johnny’s able to do this because he doesn't need to drive the car, it drives for him. This makes the audience imagine a life like that and experience how much easier it would be. When you’re a parent one of your most important goals in life is setting your children up to be successful in life. In ten with the flag, Central does that for you. “‘Central looks into the future and determines the baby’s community viability,’ said johnne. ‘That’s really all there is to it, right?’” In this story central looks into the future to determine your child's future which would be a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

A perfect world, futuristic technology, and a break from reality are all reasons why we can all enjoy dystopian literature. As a result, movies and books like this have been growing rapidly in popularity.

I'm a sophmore at Lowell Highschool