“They say, ‘Music can alter moods and talk to you,’ but can it load a gun and cock it too? | Teen Ink

“They say, ‘Music can alter moods and talk to you,’ but can it load a gun and cock it too?

January 13, 2009
By Anonymous

“My uncle put his ex-girlfriend in the trunk of his car, because Eminem did it in a song,” or “My brother got sent to jail because 50 Cent said in a song you can get away with shooting someone!” We’ve all heard it, people complaining because modern/popular music has allegedly influenced the decision(s) of them or their loved one(s). Music doesn’t kill people, music doesn’t shoot people, music doesn’t go and break the law, people do. People make the decision to break laws or to obey the law.

Many people believe that music has the power to affect and influence the way a person is thinking. Yes, music can alter a mood, but nowhere is it proven that music can take over your body and make you shoot people, or rob a grocery store. Music is something that you can hear, something that can entertain you, something that tells a story (fiction or non-fiction). Music isn’t a weapon or a mind control technique, it’s a tool. A resource, if you will.

Music has been around for thousands of years, in ancient times, people used it to praise their god(s). In the renaissance times, music was used to amuse the king/queen and other royal subjects. During the time of slavery in America, slaves used music as a code, and it sent the message of hope. And now, music provides entertainment to people. Music tells stories, most are fictitious, but the stories can inspire and entertain, and that’s why music is everywhere.

People will complain about things that they don’t really understand or take the time to learn, because that’s how people are, it’s what we do. One thing that I think is unnecessary though is using music as an excuse and something to hide behind when you mess up. If you make a mistake in life, it’s your fault, own up to it. Music didn’t influence your actions or decisions, your brain did, your emotions did, and there’s no use trying to deny it. People have gotten away with using music as an excuse one too many times. There are too many things that people do and get away with now a days, that we shouldn’t blame the music industry for the problems these people cause and the mistakes that they have made.

Music isn’t used to say that everything in life is good and that all your dreams will come true if you act a certain way and say or do the right things. Music is here to be a source of entertainment, something that people look to when they’re in the car, working, exercising, or just bored.
It is said that Adolf Hitler was an amazing speaker who was able to manipulate the minds of people in order to murder. It is also said that he was able to take advantage of people by brainwashing them. After he had the people in the palm of his hand, he was able to convince these brainwashed people that killing other people was the only way. People often say that music has the ability to do the same thing. This is one hundred percent untrue. Music may be able to make a person feel angry or sad, but music doesn’t pull the trigger and music doesn’t terrorize people. People put these problems on themselves, music doesn’t.

In conclusion, music may have a powerful effect on people, but it doesn’t make decisions for them. Music is a form of entertainment that has been around and been questioned for thousands of years. Music is nothing more than storytelling put to beats and notes, people aren’t taken over by music, and therefore, people are responsible for their own actions.

The author's comments:
this was my persuasive argument for my english III class