Twilight vs. Harry Potter | Teen Ink

Twilight vs. Harry Potter

May 31, 2009
By rokie101 GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
rokie101 GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.
-Robert Frost-


The two biggest teen series are at war once again. I remember a time where both stories peacefully resided together and all was at ease, but with the premiere of Twilight, the first novel in the saga, things started to get a little heated. Twilight and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince were both scheduled to be released on the same day, but as the day got closer Harry Potter was rescheduled to the summer instead of winter. This aggravated may loyal Potter fans. Twilight, on the other hand, remained the same and got phenomenal reviews.

For all the people who have been living under a rock for the past year, Twilight is about a clumsy, serene, fragile girl named Bella Swan. Bella moves from sunny Arizona to the always wet town of Forks, Washington. There she meets a mysterious boy, Edward Cullen, and falls madly in love with him only to find out that he is a vampire who craves her blood.

Harry Potter on the other hand is about a boy whose parents died when he was just a baby. Left to live with his cruel Uncle, Aunt and cousin, Harry thinks he is nothing special. But on his eleventh birthday he is informed that he is wizard and sets off for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Once at school he learns that he is “the boy who lived” that meaning he is the only person to have survived the killing curse in the entire world. And to top it all off he must defeat the most evil, powerful, and dark wizard of all time, Lord Voldemort, all while trying to fit in at a school where everyone knows his name, and everyone knows everything about him.

Two very different stories, but still at war with one another. Some people are like me, loving both worlds. But others stick with there book, not giving the other side a chance. So now I ask you. Why can’t Harry Potter and Twilight exist peacefully together?


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 40 comments.


DiamondRose said...
on Aug. 22 2014 at 5:25 pm
DiamondRose, Vashon, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You cannot be her. She is far away. She... she is far, far away from me. She walks in starlight in another world. It was just a dream. Do you think she could have loved me?" -Kíli.

I personally hate Twilght and love Harry Potter. Twilight doesn't have any depth to it. I personally can't stand it when people try and say Harry Potter is a 'kids' book' and Twilight is 'advanced literature'. Twilight is a rather sexist tale, with Bella relying on Edward for everything. The best I can say for it is that the graphic novels are well written.

DiamondRose said...
on Aug. 22 2014 at 5:21 pm
DiamondRose, Vashon, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You cannot be her. She is far away. She... she is far, far away from me. She walks in starlight in another world. It was just a dream. Do you think she could have loved me?" -Kíli.

Why do you like Twilight more if you think HP is better (which it is).

Jess15 said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:29 pm
I do like both but Harry Potter will always have my heart. I do think that the Twilight books are better than the movies, but some of the Harry Potter movies are better than some of the books except a few of them. Either way, I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!!

on Aug. 30 2012 at 5:02 pm
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
114 articles 0 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

Harry Potter is clearly better! I have read both, and judged both equally, and at first I thought hey twilight is ok but when I got to the bit about the happily ever after I realised how empty it is. Harry Potter is full of imagination, and unlike twilight, actually SUSPENSE - plus there are strong female characters unlike hapless Bella and everyone included in the book has their own personality...I am a Harry Potter fan for life - forget twilight, it'll be forgotten when the next predictable love story comes out...harry potter is actually ORIGINAL!

on Apr. 19 2012 at 7:00 am
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York
14 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

As well written as this piece was, it did nothing to break the war. I'm sorry to say this but you just added fuel to the fire. But it was very well written!!

on Apr. 19 2012 at 6:58 am
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York
14 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

I used to be like you. I loved both books. But then I found Twilight fans insulting Harry Potter as a whole, saying that Harry Potter characters were stolen from the twilight series and other things. That is what put me off the series for good. Now I've gone back to my childhood. I was a loyal fan and HBP was supposed to come out on my birthday. So do you see why I would be made at the fact it was changed for some other movie? Not to mention that people call Twilight more realistic. Now I have nothing against realistic fiction books. I love them. But saying that TWILIGHT is realistic? I'm sorry, but I don't find vampires falling in love with people everyday. Harry Potter thrived on the fantasy world. It showed bravery, TRUE bravery. It showed how love is the basis in life. It showed that any person can make mistakes. It showed that people can fix their lives after a death of someone close to you. Harry Potter got a whole generation reading. Harry Potter helped people who felt like there was nothing left to live for, have hope that there was something to live for. Harry Potter saved lives. What does Twilight show? How to act after you lose a boyfriend? Become almost comatic and then fall in love with someone else only to go back to the first guy? To do dangerous things if it meant hearing the voice of someone you love? Really? Potterheads are a family forever. Harry Potter is a classic. Twilight will die out soon as the new generation learn to read.

on Apr. 11 2012 at 4:49 pm
AnnabelLee423 SILVER, Somewhere, Other
6 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

I would call myself a really loyal Harry Potter fan, so it is not a surprise that I will say that the Harry Potter series is better. The reason is that it is more innocent, more imaginary, more sensitive and more thrilling than Twilight series. I have watched all movies, but I just can't get how that series became a phenomenon. I think that it is predictable and stereotyped. The fragile girl that finds her hero, then comes the enemy and they live together happily ever after... I don't think that it is fair to equalise the two series...

vazenitran98 said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 11:34 am
vazenitran98, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,I met a man who had no feet."

Harry Potter is actually more interesting. It lives in a rather larger world.

MyNameIsBlue said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 6:16 pm
i love both worls EQUALLY. i love harry potter a smidth more but if i told anyone in my house that they wud skin me alive(there simpleminded and dont like the wondorous wrld of harry potter) but if i hadnt watch twilight i wud have never read harry potter sooo.....

Milena said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 5:55 pm
Milena, Valley Stream, New York
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Your life story would not make a good book. Don't even try." -Fran Lebowitz

I have so much respect for you.

ravneet said...
on Apr. 16 2011 at 1:01 am
i have no problem with people reading twilight. but when those twitards say that harry potter is kiddish or unreal or is not a love story. it just angers me more than anything. 

on Apr. 10 2011 at 5:05 pm
nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas
8 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

The story of Twighlight is okay in itself, but what bothers me is the mangled impression of vampires and werewolves. They are different in this one story than in the history of all other vamps and WWs. I don't like it. It's wrong, not like the real deal you find in all the classics. if there were no predetermined stereotypes, it would be fine. But there is a set image of vamps and WWs in people's minds, and this does not fit at all. HP FO-EVA!

on Feb. 22 2011 at 4:47 pm
Oorah_Alchemist, Bluffton, South Carolina
0 articles 6 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
Standing between us and evil.He'll defend to the very last shell.Carnage all around but still unflinching gun blazing as he fell.The brave soldier once at Heavens gate Yells out."One more soldier reporting sir,and I believe I've served enough time in hell.

haha I believe when Voldemort killed Cedric he came back as a sparkly pixie.. I mean Vampire :)

on Feb. 22 2011 at 4:45 pm
Oorah_Alchemist, Bluffton, South Carolina
0 articles 6 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
Standing between us and evil.He'll defend to the very last shell.Carnage all around but still unflinching gun blazing as he fell.The brave soldier once at Heavens gate Yells out."One more soldier reporting sir,and I believe I've served enough time in hell.

I think it is because of the fact when the Twilight movie was realised on the day many dedicated Harry Potter fans where expecting their movie it made them angry causing the two worlds to bump heads. I'm not going to lie I am all for Harry Potter, but I have no problem with Twilight. I read the series, wasn't impressed,put it on my bookshelf, and that was that. People who constantly bring up how they hate twilight or hate Harry Potter are just looking for a fight. I don't think Harry Potter and Twilight will ever live in the same cases as each other because of that decision to realise twilight on the long awaited Half blood prince movie. Which again inferiated alot of Harry Potter fans. I'm well over it.

on Feb. 16 2011 at 3:08 pm
WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are too many to choose from.

No question about it, JK Rowling has produced the better piece of literature and is a more talented individual. Her story is cleverer, her writing of a much higher quality and, thank god, she is British.

Twilight's ok though, just nothing special, a lot more simple, and for simple-minded people.


on Feb. 11 2011 at 11:18 am
Saphirra BRONZE, Auburn, Pennsylvania
4 articles 13 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Falling is just like flying except there’s a more permanent destination.” -Some person on Tumblr

I think that Twilight and Harry Potter can never exist in peace. It will always be an ongoing battle. I chose Harry Potter on the first page.

schlage GOLD said...
on Nov. 11 2010 at 4:12 pm
schlage GOLD, Erie, Pennsylvania
10 articles 0 photos 37 comments
Ok, so there sre some major twilight fans out there but... how can it even measure up to harry potter. Harry Potter is amazingly written and twilight is really just kind of normal. it's not the worst book, but it gets way more credit then it should. Harry Potter is the book and movie series of the century, and it will still be strong years from now.

on Sep. 8 2010 at 9:15 am
MusicCloud7 SILVER, Kanab, Utah
5 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe

I like that. Edward is Voldemort. explains the shininess.

on Aug. 4 2010 at 10:18 pm
SystemofaDown96, North Branford, Connecticut
0 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If rock and roll is illegal, then throw my ass in jail" ~Curt Cobain NIRVANA

well that sums it up. case closed

on May. 17 2010 at 5:35 pm
Oregonian BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Good times....good times........."

Because Harry Potter is a masterpiece and Twilight just plain sucks. There is no denying it, only screaming girls can possibly like Twilight(especially the movies). Whereas Harry Potter has fans of all ages and gets way better reviews on websites like rottentomatoes.com

 

 

So thas why they can't exist peacefully together. Edward is VOLDEMORT!!