Twilight vs. Harry Potter | Teen Ink

Twilight vs. Harry Potter

By rokie101 GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
rokie101 GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.
-Robert Frost-

The two biggest teen series are at war once again. I remember a time where both stories peacefully resided together and all was at ease, but with the premiere of Twilight, the first novel in the saga, things started to get a little heated. Twilight and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince were both scheduled to be released on the same day, but as the day got closer Harry Potter was rescheduled to the summer instead of winter. This aggravated may loyal Potter fans. Twilight, on the other hand, remained the same and got phenomenal reviews.

For all the people who have been living under a rock for the past year, Twilight is about a clumsy, serene, fragile girl named Bella Swan. Bella moves from sunny Arizona to the always wet town of Forks, Washington. There she meets a mysterious boy, Edward Cullen, and falls madly in love with him only to find out that he is a vampire who craves her blood.

Harry Potter on the other hand is about a boy whose parents died when he was just a baby. Left to live with his cruel Uncle, Aunt and cousin, Harry thinks he is nothing special. But on his eleventh birthday he is informed that he is wizard and sets off for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Once at school he learns that he is “the boy who lived” that meaning he is the only person to have survived the killing curse in the entire world. And to top it all off he must defeat the most evil, powerful, and dark wizard of all time, Lord Voldemort, all while trying to fit in at a school where everyone knows his name, and everyone knows everything about him.

Two very different stories, but still at war with one another. Some people are like me, loving both worlds. But others stick with there book, not giving the other side a chance. So now I ask you. Why can’t Harry Potter and Twilight exist peacefully together?

Lollipop2012 SILVER, Las Veags, Nevada
i agree with the author of this article. At first i was all about Twilight because i never read Harry Potter. I was basing my opinion off the movie vs. the twilight books. But once i actually read HArry Potter i realized that they are really good books. I love them both!

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Wooget101, Harry Potter is not about the devil!! If you've read the series, you would hopefully realize the story is about good attempting to defeat evil. There's not a single thing in it about any religion whatsoever, including the devil! Even if it was about the devil (which it's not) there's no reason why you can't read it!! It's good to read things even if you don't agree with them. It lets you hear other opinions and opens you up to othe ideas. Also, of course that stuff can't happen- that's why it's called FANTASY. Now, I can't judge Twilight because I haven't read it, but I have nothing against it!! Rokie101, great article!

i dont realy read much... but twilight is kinda more intrusting. GO TEAM ALICE!!!!!!!!!!!

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
Twilight is not even in the same league as harry potter. I like Twilight more, but I know H.P. is way better. Hary Potter has more imagination and better writing in a single chapter than all the twilight books.

wooget101 GOLD said...
wooget101 GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

Life is not about how many breathes you take but how many moments take your breathe away.

i think both stink. both are about nothing but the DEVIL. they are both about stupid things that could never happen and stuff that shoudn't have ever even been made up... well that's just my opinion

Fires SILVER said...
Fires SILVER, Eagle Pass, Texas

Follow your heart always!

Harry Potter is all love and peace. To know what you have and be happy with it. Try to make it wonderful for you and the people around you. To know that at the end you will get rewarded for what you went through.

Fashionista said...
Fashionista, Devon, Pennsylvania

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.

Team Harry forever

HeadshotM SILVER, Melbourne, New York

Your failure is my success

Twilight is in the dark, but Harry Potter pierces the skies and lights up the world with the lightning scar

Sunshine said...
I have read both books and think they are both wonderful but now I am a Twilight fan.

KellyR GOLD said...
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

He who should not be named!

Head_in_the_Clouds, Kingwood, Texas

Why must you ruin my fun with common sense?

I'm a Potter fan, but I gave Twilight a chance. I loved it a first, but as time grew on, and people were like "Twilight this.." and "Twilight that.." I admit, it got kinda dull. But still, both GREAT books.

Elle R. said...
i fell in love with harry potter when i watched it 4 the first time on my 12 b-day. im 17 now and i recently watched twilight and i think its a good movie. i was a little reluctant 2 read the books at first b-cuz my parents R not in2 the vampire thing and neither was i 2 B honest. but people cept telling me it was good so when the movie came out we got it and ifell in love with it. harry potter and twilight have nothing in common but they R both awsome. :)

kennedy_rowzz SILVER, Sterling Heights, Michigan

"we can never truly know who we are"-afi

I totally agree with you!<3

Spellbinder BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

I totally agree with you!

I've loved Harry Potter my whole life, and I fell in love with Twilight about two years ago.

They are both incredible series, but I hate it when they are declared "at war."

They're completly different stories. Just because Robert Pattinson stared in both movies doesn't make them the same!

goldrush77 said...
i think that all of the twilight books are a little bit of the same. bella gets in trouble and all of the vampires have to save her. i think harry potter keeps things different.

aprilfool6784 GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey
i've never read twilight, at first i wanted to, but now i dont. its because all of my friends are totally and annoyingly obsessed. i know the story pretty well now. actually, my art teacher pointed out a "fault" in the book. she said that girls, when they read this, will act as if the world is a fairytale, and that their prince charming is going to come and save them from the evils of the world. girls can easily get hopelessly lost in life reading these books, and waiting for it all to happen to them!

I really liked Twilight when i first read it... But on second glance. I found problems. As before mentioned Bella's complete dependance upon Edward, but also some points that just didn't belong. Not to mention the complete fairy tale ending. As of now I want to read Harry Potter and compare the two. Everyone I know says that they are good but I want my own opinion. Really made me think. Thanks for the idea.

E.L.W. PLATINUM, Glen Allen, Virginia

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels.
The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes -
the ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo.
They push the human race forward.

HP and Twilight are equally good? I think many pre-teens and teenagers are a little blind to the poor literature behind the "happy-ever-after" romance Edward and Bella share. Does anybody notice how anti-feminist Bella is, always waiting for her hot boyfriend to save her? Or the clear failings of Breaking Dawn (i.e. all the built up conflict is solved unrealistically within the first 200 pages, then SM spends the rest of it building up to conflict that never happens)? The overused adjectives that give the impression of good literature?

But HP on the other hand, while not quite as glamorous as the romantic Twilight, has good writing, plot twists, a captivating and imaginative theme, and JKR stays true to the characters, finishing the series up with a great finale.

I really, truly do not mean to offend anybody with my railings against Twilight and SM, as an avid HP-er, I feel I need to defend my choice series. But I respect all y'all's opinions, too.

And good article, by the way. I like it.

Potter. said...
I'm fine with someone sticking with their book IF they read the other one as well. If someone says "Twilight is ten times better" but haven't read Harry Potter than they aren't being fair. And vice versa. That is why I thought I'd read Twilight last summer. I didn't like it. I thought it was poorly written and unoriginal, so yes it makes me angry when Harry Potter is insulted and Twilight praised.

I probably wouldn't mind Twilight if it weren't for the stupid fan girls. "Lyke omg Twilight is lyke so great. EDWARD IS SO HAWT!!!!1!1!" I mean really...what ever happened to loving literature for its actual WRITING?

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
I liked your line "For all the people who have been living under a rock for the past year." Harry Potter and twilight are equally as good. Can't people split there love?