I'm Only Me When I'm With You | Teen Ink

I'm Only Me When I'm With You

February 4, 2014
By RochelleV SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
RochelleV SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Samantha Ciotti claims that codependency and blaming the other woman is very wrong in her piece, “I’m Only Me When I’m With You.” I strongly agree with this argument.

I concur with Ciotti that codependency is an incredibly unhealthy practice. She uses her friend Patty as an example. Patty was too reliant on her boyfriend--she would cry if they spent but four days apart. She was almost obsessed with this boy. Patty dropped all of her hobbies to spend more time with him. This unhealthy dependency eventually led to him breaking up with her. As Ciotti puts it, “...a relationship should add to your life, not be your life,” but Patty’s boyfriend became her whole world.

Ciotti also rightly points out that women have a tendency to blame one another. If a woman has been cheated on, she will likely blame it upon the woman that she was cheated with, but this is also wrong. She should be angry at the man who broke her heart, for he “was supposedly committed,” says Ciotti.

In “I’m Only Me When I’m With You,” Samantha Ciotti claims that codependency is excessive and unhealthy. She also states that blaming the other woman is wrong, and that the man is the one to blame. I strongly agree with these opinions.