Boy Meets Girl | Teen Ink

Boy Meets Girl

By SmileyRiley PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois
SmileyRiley PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois

"You can be a victor without having victims and you can stand tall without standing on someone"

Is it just me or is there tremendous pressure put on teens today to have a boyfriend or girlfriend? Ever since the cute little boy down the street started chasing the girl in pigtails the seed of idea was planted. How many people have actual serious relationships in middle school? I’m very happy for you if you do or did, but to me it seems unlikely. But have you thought about where the pressure is coming from. Maybe it’s from your parents, maybe from your peers, or maybe, just maybe, the pressure is coming from you. I'm sure that from teen to teen where this pressure is coming from differs, but for myself and my friends, it is mostly ourselves. Sure it’s hard to be surrounded by people who only talk about the cute/annoying thing their boyfriend or girlfriend did and it makes you feel really left out, but these times are when I remember how great it is to be single. Number 1, I never feel tied down. Number 2, I don’t ever feel guilty about hanging out with my guy friends. But I won’t bore you with why it’s great to be single, because I know that in a part of us all, we want to be loved by someone outside our family. For those lucky enough to have found it, I applaud you. For those like me, keep looking. I’m sure our match is out there somewhere. But before we do go and find that someone, you have to make sure that there isn’t pressure on us to do so.

minnie meg said...
i agree with this article is totally ture but hey i love my bf sooo much and i just cant think staying without him even for a sec!!he's sooo niceee

mnnie meg said...
u're not the only one girl :)

writerssoul said...
writerssoul, One, Delaware
Totally true! Im glad ur focusing on the positives of being single cuz there r many:)

lupardus95 said...
yea i am in the same boat right now and i have to agree what ths person is saying but i think the pressure is coming from me bc i want that perfect boyfriend so bad.

ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

This is a great piece.

Although I don't think people should look for relationships or love.

They should let it come to them.

Its better that way.

Keep writing.

choirchic101 SILVER, Norwalk, California

in order for God to use all of you you have to be completely broken

i like this piece alot. i do have a boyfriend but he goes to a different school. so when i hang out with my friends that do i feel a little bit 3rd wheelish because they do the whole PDA thing. i mean it gets annoying when you're talking to one of your friends and their boyfriend does something to them and they ignore you especially when you're in the middle of telling them something important.

DreamGlider said...
Serious relationships aren't easy to come buy in high school either. Relationships take effort on both ends, therefore require a certain degree of maturity.

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
This is so true!!! Its not like you have to have one.

morgie7<3 PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
~Michael Jordan

AHHHHHHHHHHH THIS PIECE IS SO COOL! there is a ton of pressure like that of which you describe and getting it out there might help. NICE WORK!

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

Forever_dancer and SmileyRiley<3, you both share the same opinion as I do! Yeah! Like you said in your article, I don't have to be tied down, and hate when my friends talk about this guy and that guy. Life is not just about that! Have fun! Live it! Wonderful piece! Luh-ved it!

on Jul. 14 2009 at 3:35 am
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I love that there is another person out there that has the same point of view as me! You know, our brains dont mature until we are about sixteen or so, so having a boyfriend or girlfriend can give you unnesesary stress because you are not ready emotionally to have it... just thought you'd like to know :)