Boy Meets Girl | Teen Ink

Boy Meets Girl

June 25, 2009
By SmileyRiley PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois
SmileyRiley PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois
30 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can be a victor without having victims and you can stand tall without standing on someone"


Is it just me or is there tremendous pressure put on teens today to have a boyfriend or girlfriend? Ever since the cute little boy down the street started chasing the girl in pigtails the seed of idea was planted. How many people have actual serious relationships in middle school? I’m very happy for you if you do or did, but to me it seems unlikely. But have you thought about where the pressure is coming from. Maybe it’s from your parents, maybe from your peers, or maybe, just maybe, the pressure is coming from you. I'm sure that from teen to teen where this pressure is coming from differs, but for myself and my friends, it is mostly ourselves. Sure it’s hard to be surrounded by people who only talk about the cute/annoying thing their boyfriend or girlfriend did and it makes you feel really left out, but these times are when I remember how great it is to be single. Number 1, I never feel tied down. Number 2, I don’t ever feel guilty about hanging out with my guy friends. But I won’t bore you with why it’s great to be single, because I know that in a part of us all, we want to be loved by someone outside our family. For those lucky enough to have found it, I applaud you. For those like me, keep looking. I’m sure our match is out there somewhere. But before we do go and find that someone, you have to make sure that there isn’t pressure on us to do so.