Becoming an Only Child | Teen Ink

Becoming an Only Child

By RochelleV SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
RochelleV SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I was moved to tears by Madison Waller’s piece, “Becoming an Only Child.” Reading her story reminded me of my own brother-- now a doctor and living 5 hours away -- and how much I miss him. I see him on rare occasions, about once every few months. He left for college when I was only 5, and has not lived with us at home ever since.

Though I cannot relate to the eerie silence of the house on the first night Josh was gone, for that silence has existed since I was very young, I can relate to everything else. I remember the day my brother went away for college. A limo drove up to our house, waiting to pick him up. I jumped into his arms and would not let him go. I felt like I was losing my best friend, as did Madison. Also, just like Madison, my brother and I have learned to cherish the time we have together. We treasure every single moment that we have.

I was able to relate to this piece so well that I began to cry. Madison’s piece showed me that I am not the only one who has to become an only child. She was truly able to broadcast the emotions of losing a sibling to an audience, whether they have been through this or not. I think this story is incredibly well written and has the ability to truly move people.