Love in High School? | Teen Ink

Love in High School?

February 25, 2010
By dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality


"Love in high school, is it really possible?" I've asked myself this question so many times throughout my 3 years in high school. I thought I was in love, but I was wrong more times than right. It wasn't love, it was lust. You can date someone for 2 weeks and say "I love you" and not mean it.

I dated 4 guys total in high school. 1 my Freshman year and it was a total disatser. Eric was a Sophomore, I, a Freshman. We both were in band, and had a lot of things in common. He told me he loved me, and I, out of pure courtesy, said it back, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I knew about sex, and everything, but I didn't date up until my Freshman year. I was one of those innocent girls that got all the dirty jokes people made, but won every "Never Have I Ever" game I played. I didn't really know if I loved him back or not. I tricked my mind into believe I did. I broke up with him after 2 months of ridicule and torture from people. Turned out, he was the type of guy that no one really liked, and was a total suck up to teachers. I was teased, and called horrible names. I came home in tears most days. I wasn't as tough as what I am now. I didn't date the rest of my Freshman year.

Summer rolled around and I met a few people on a college visit trip. Turns out, they were best friends with a guy (Kody) I had met and talked to for 2 hours in a mass band thing my old middle school band director held. We had sat next to each other, me a flute, him an alto sax. We talked every chance we had, and he used the corniest band pick-up line I had ever heard. "So, what instrument do you play?" Are the exact words he asked me. The funny part, I had my flute sitting on my lap. A few weeks after talking to his friends, I got his phone number and asked him to come to my birthday party. He was at his friends birthday and couldn't. His friend ended up becoming one of mine. She was a flute player and I got to know her at Band Camp. Kody and I started dating the 2nd day of school. He was a Freshman, me a Sophomore. We lasted 8 months until we broke up. We had been saying that we loved each other since the first month we started dating. I was completely head over heels for him. I was no longer a sweet and innocent little girl after dating him. No, we never had sex, but we did a lot more than I care to remember.

I dated only 1 other guy that year, and I had known him for 8 years. Pat was sweet, but too timid for me. I was always having to make the first move. We did love each other, but it was more of a brother sister kind of love. We broke up within 1 month.

My Junior year became interesting. I dated Kody again but we didn't last a month. We had changed, and we just didn't feel a connection anymore. I dated another one of my best friends. Will had come to my school in the 4th grade and we've been best friends ever since. He had become a brother to me. We dated a week, and he broke up with me over a rumor that I was cheating on him. It wasn't true and I was crushed. I had fallen deeply in love with him and will always be in love with him. It all started on the day he moved here. I never stopped loving him.

Now, it's the end of my Junior year and I'm dating Eric again. The reason behind it? I really think I love him. He's sweet, nice, loving, and is a complete gentleman. When he wants to be. I love him, and I don't plan on dating anymore in high school because I am truely happy where I am now.

I do believe Love in high school is possible. You just have to find the right one, and if you don't find him in high school, don't give up. You have at least 35 more years to find him.

"Never give up, because life's too short to live in regret." Bryanna Niswonger



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 21 comments.


on Nov. 19 2010 at 4:04 pm
Ok I really like this. It's actually made me re think stuff with my boy friend right now. we've known eachother for four years and have gone to church together for so long together he probably knows everyhting aobut me. But hes always saying "i love you" and i dont know that i believe him and thanks to this im starting to think maybe its really not worht it. :)

on Nov. 18 2010 at 8:45 am
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

i think thats a great idea!

TrinityCreed said...
on Nov. 16 2010 at 10:09 am
:) We should start an advice column. You and I would might be good at it. What do you think?

on Nov. 2 2010 at 2:35 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

thank you Trinity. that helps alot actually. your great to talk to, you know that?

TrinityCreed said...
on Oct. 18 2010 at 9:15 am
To a friend from a friend; that does seem a little hypocritical. If you really do feel that your really in love with him, treasure each and every moment with that person.

on Oct. 14 2010 at 12:54 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

update on article!!!!

i know my article has to do with love in high school, and i may be acting a little hypocritical, but i do and don't believe in love in high school. i'm currently dating a guy i really do love. i'm a senior, and he's a junior. yet he's older than me by 6 months. we've been friends for 3 years, and i want to know, am i really crazy for believing i'm in love? or is it really truely love?


on Oct. 14 2010 at 12:49 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

i know how you feel Trinity. i've had that happened to me this summer. i know exactly what you're going through. and all it does is take time. as the old saying goes, time heals all wounds. and it does, just try not to think about her. try and involve yourself in things that won't remind you of her.

TrinityCreed said...
on Oct. 14 2010 at 9:18 am
Very interesting what you have said, cause she emailed me yesturday saying "I don't want to talk to you, leave me alone, don't email me anymore." Music, I feel like my time with her was wasted. I know you said "stop beating yourself over her," lets just say she crushed my heart in a way. I felt really in love for the first time and now this. My heart feels broken, my first love left me- that's how I feel. After that happended I came to a depression- my heart is sensitive, I know. I've talked to my friends and my family, but they think I should move on. I know they are right, but it felt like my heart was torned out of my chest.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 1:50 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

sorry it's taken me so long to reply. but first off, stop beating yourself up over her. i've been in this position, and actually currently am, again. it does sound like she used you. i don't know the whole story, so i'm not going to judge. and, if she really cared about you, like she said, she wouldn't be ignoring you. just give her some time to herself. it may take awhile, but she may email you herself. and if she doesn't, just drop her an email after a couple weeks saying hey. don't mention your email, or how sorry you are, just be casual.

TrinityCreed said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 8:36 am
I've tried to talk to her through email, but she ignores me. On 10/7 i wrote her an email, the more i think about it i was upest and angry that she didn't respond to any of my previous emails to her. I blew up, my anger to her exploded. Now i feel bad on what i did to her; I now feel guilty on what i've said to her. Well, not only that, but before she ignored me, she said "I already have a boyfriend." music, I know it is wrong I flared up at her. but at the same time I felt like she used me in a way (that's what my mind is telling me). A part of me wants to apologize to her, that part strongly says that. I don't know what to do, I'm beating myself up so much on what I've said. I don't know what to do, what should i do? 

on Oct. 6 2010 at 11:03 am
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

of course. i'll be glad to help

TrinityCreed said...
on Oct. 5 2010 at 10:05 am
Music, if that's okay if I shorten your name a bit. I'm begining to crack down, to-a-point i feel like crying half the times. I need help, can you please help me? I feel alone and it really really really hurts. I need someone to talk to.

on Sep. 22 2010 at 8:53 am
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

i know how that feels. if you ever need me, i'm always here to talk. i'm a great listener.

TrinityCreed said...
on Sep. 20 2010 at 5:24 pm
She says that she just wants to be friends. She does care for me. Thing is though at this moment our parents are trying to separate our friendship. It is hurting me at an emotional point. It's hurting me greatly.

on Sep. 20 2010 at 12:49 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

and love comes in many different forms. it could be love. i won't lie to you, if you really care about this girl, from what youve told me, i believe you could be in love with her. but does she return it is the ultimate question

on Sep. 15 2010 at 1:08 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

ahh. ok, well, i suggest you actually try and meet with this girl before you say wether you love her or not.

TrinityCreed said...
on Sep. 10 2010 at 2:09 pm
I haven't met her yet, this girl and I have been in a long distance relationship. We internet chat and (sometimes) talk on the phone to each other.

TrinityCreed said...
on Sep. 10 2010 at 2:02 pm
No, I haven't met this girl, we've been internet dating. sometimes we call each other (on phone), and talk to each other on the interent. Basically it's a long distance relationship.

on Sep. 10 2010 at 1:00 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

i just wanted to add to my story a little bit. i broke up with eric over the summer. it wasn't love. he hurt me, so i broke up with him. i'm a senior now, and i had a few summer flings. but now i'm with a freshman. some people say it's wierd, a senior dating a freshman, but really, it's not. i've only just hit 17, and he's turning 15 in october. so really, were only 2 years apart. no, i don't think i'm in love with him, it's too early to tell. but i do care for him. hes really very sweet.

 

*just wanted to add that*


on Sep. 10 2010 at 12:56 pm
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

well, i dont mean to get too personal or anything, but have you two met? as in, in person?