The Guide to a Dream Date | Teen Ink

The Guide to a Dream Date

August 30, 2009
By yaychloe92 GOLD, Miami, Wyoming
yaychloe92 GOLD, Miami, Wyoming
10 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Excitement brews within every high school when the month of October approaches, and a frenzy of nervous anticipation occupies the minds of students as they debate on asking their dream date to the Homecoming Dance. How to avoid an awkward encounter with your crush as you pop the question? Well, there are a few helpful tips that should make asking that special someone a little less nerve-wracking. Even though your stomach is twisting in knots when you think about the disappointment you may face, portraying a cool, confident appearance is always key when talking to your potential date. Your crush is worth more effort than a simple asking as you pass each other in the hallway, so thinking of a creative and unique approach is also vital. Most importantly, avoid the embarrassment of rejection by asking a person that you know is actually interested in accompanying you to the dance. Every high-schooler dreads hearing a ‘no’ or even worse, an ‘absolutely NOT!’ answer from the person they work up the courage to extend themselves out to. By following these guidelines, it will help ensure a smooth Homecoming experience, avoid the agony of social death, and earn that ‘YES!’

When considering the ways to ask a potential Homecoming date, nervous butterflies may fill your stomach and produce nervous jitters that cause your brain to short-circuit, but this is completely normal for the unprepared teenager. One way to avoid this and keep your collected appearance when it actually comes time for ‘the asking’, is to spend several hours each night before bed practicing your lines and facial expressions in a full length mirror. It is important to be in control of your body language, making sure not to sway uncomfortably from side to side, or startle your potential date with any sudden twitches. As you look at yourself in the mirror, practice a confident stance, placing both feet firmly on the ground, straightening your shoulders into good posture, and remembering to keep eye contact with the person you are speaking to. Rehearsing the lines you are going to say is also a useful tactic in avoiding an embarrassing encounter with your dream date. When preparing, try to eliminate any unusual noises, cracks in the voice, or loud snorts during a fake laugh that you use to fill an awkward silence. This will definitely increase the chances of wooing your crush into accepting your offer.

Standing out among the vast sea of students flooding the halls of your high school is no easy task, but uniqueness is imperative when asking a Homecoming date. If you like the person enough to want to spend an entire night of dancing with them, then they must be worth a little more creative effort than a conventional asking during an every day, mundane encounter. Coming up with fun and innovative ideas will make you an even more desirable Homecoming commodity. Some examples of successful asking techniques include: 1) Writing your crush a trail of love notes, delivered to them in each class with a carnation, spelling out your desire to escort them to the dance, and meeting them at the end of the day to receive their answer. 2) Getting out of class early to decorate their car with balloons and streamers and writing ‘Homecoming?’ on their window, then standing with a bouquet of roses until they come out of the building for you to surprise them in person. 3) Pulling some strings with the school administration and asking the question over the intercom during morning announcements. Being ambitious with the asking technique shows how much you desire to win over your date, and that you are enthusiastic about taking them to homecoming. Keep the method sweet and appropriate, remembering not to make it into an outrageously embarrassing experience for your crush.

Nothing is more uncomfortable than spending Homecoming with another person that you have nothing in common with. Having a plethora of background information is vital in selecting your Homecoming target. Instead of randomly asking a fellow classmate to accompany you at the last minute, take time to get to know another student that you are interested in, and pay attention to how they react to you as well. Strike up a conversation after class, or while ‘happening’ to stand next to them in the lunch line, but avoid the corny pick-up lines like “Hey, what’s cookin’, good lookin’,” which would most likely be returned with a dirty look of disgust in your direction. Instead, casually inquire information on their relationship status, but try to avoid seeming desperate. Asking a person that is already taken, or does not intend on going to the dance, is obviously useless. Observe how the conversation flows between you, and don’t be afraid to flirt a little to let them know you are interested. If this person expresses your similar interests, and you get along well, then this might just be the perfect date! If there are too many awkward silences, and your encounters turned out unpleasantly, then this may unfortunately be a glimpse of what Homecoming would resemble.

Acquiring a date to Homecoming can be a traumatizing event if not handled in the proper way, but this advice will help to remedy any uneasiness you have about the asking process. By calming your nervous butterflies through preparation, taking a confident, ambitious approach to popping the question, and making sure your crush is really the right choice for you, these tips will almost guarantee an enjoyable night of dancing for you and your dream date. Rise above the chaos engulfing your school in the month of October, and make this a smooth Homecoming experience.