When is it appropiate to marry? | Teen Ink

When is it appropiate to marry?

By Eligovar BRONZE, Tlaquepaque, Other
Eligovar BRONZE, Tlaquepaque, Other

Some scientists have made the effort to discover the best way to make decisions in daily life, in its article, The Universal shows the Tom Griffiths and Brian Christian’s investigation about a mathematical calculation which allows to indicate when is the best moment to make an important decision: “(they) established that once you completed the 37% of something in a fixed term, you’re at a perfect point to make a key decision” (2021). To explain it in marriage terms, The Universal said that if a person looks for a perfect match among 18 and 40, the appropriate age to marry is 26. 

In my opinion, the previous arguments based on a mathematical formula are not worthy if they don’t recognize the social aspects of the people that are about to make such an important decision. In Mexico, there isn’t a even floor for the population to make decisions with the same liberties, according to Centro de Estudios Espinosa Yglesias (2015) our country is “highly stratified and the origin of the people is a determining factor in their socioeconomic achievement” they also mention the Sen’s capabilities approach which establish that “equality must measure in terms of effective liberty of the people, the set of choices that are actually feasible”. This is why trying to determine an exact age where people must decide to marry is not factible, not everyone is in the condition of fulfilling themselves and meeting their goals alongside the most privileged people. 

Now, knowing that the percentage of marriages that decide to put off having children is minimal in Mexico, we should worry more about our stability before thinking of settling down, because of the lower levels of social mobility: according to CEEY (2019), “49 of 100 people born in the households of the lowest group of the social ladder, stay there their entire lives. And although the other half ascend, 25 of them can’t overcome the poverty line in Mexico”. This doesn't mean that you have to “strive” to reach a better socioeconomic level and then be able to get married and have children, but settling down is an issue where you need to premeditate and consider your current situation. 

To summarize, finding a perfect age where people must marry based just on mathematical models is a complete illusion, whatever the result could be, is likely that it will not work for each of us individually. Real life is not that easy, if we don’t examine first what our well-being level is, maybe our family's future won't be as bright as we hoped. So, think about it and take the next step once you believe that your life is at an appropriate point . 

El Universal (2021). Modelo matemático sugiere que la mejor edad para casarse son los 26. eluniversal.com.mx/ciencia-y-salud/mejor-edad-para-casarse-son-los-26-estudio

CEEY (2015). El concepto de movilidad social: dimensiones, medidas y estudios en México. ceey.org.mx/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/01-V%C3%A9lez-Campos-Fonseca-2015-1.pdf 

CEEY (2019). INFORME MOVILIDAD SOCIAL EN MÉXICO 2019. ceey.org.mx/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Informe-Movilidad-Social-en-M%C3%A9xico-2019..pdf 

CEEY (2021). Movilidad Social. simulador.ceey.org.mx/

I'm a mexican. I'm studying Governmental Administration and Public Policies in Universidad de Guadalajara, i'm also a counselor at my Division in CUCEA. 

I love politics, and I dedicate my life to it (in my bachelor's degree, my work and my hobbies) because I believe in the essence of the State and the power of the people to make things go better.