Wild Flames | Teen Ink

Wild Flames

By TrulyMadlyDeeply SILVER, Denver, Colorado
TrulyMadlyDeeply SILVER, Denver, Colorado

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss

It burns brightly and beautifully, releasing the wrath of a sun confined in the bones of tree bark and withered life. Roaring, writhing, and scorching, the flames break through trees and down trails. It chases after all forms of life, almost enjoying itself as if it’s merely playing a game that only it can win. Such a force does not stop to ask itself if this tree or that piece of wood constructs the home of a now-displaced family; it only demolishes it’s path like a beast unleashed, angry and starving.

This image has been constructed and unchanged for generations, while in reality a wildfire is a whole other entity completely. The flames don't selfishly consume, but rather give the kiss of life as it bathes the forest floor, preparing it for rebirth; much like a mother lion licks health and cleanliness back into her cub's wounds. In the same swift motion as a phoenix rises from ash, so will young, healthy life from the forest floor; relieving the old and withered trees from their decade-long posts.

As humans, we see the beauty of mountain forests and desire to reside in such a space. We must remember, however, that the the Earth is a treasure for all those that inhabit and will inhabit it’s land. To say the rejuvenation of such lands should be stopped for our desire to see the forests unchanged for the impossibly small fraction of time we occupy it is selfish. This also steals the wonder of such beauty from future generations. It is a wildfire. If you build in it’s path, expect that it will do as it was designed to do: burn.
I implore the world to not scorn the changes wildfires bring, but thank it for providing us with a fresh start. It is understandable to be devastated over the loss of a home that was consumed by flames, but it is part of the circle of life. The houses some reside in won’t be lost forever, but rather feed the newborn forest, making the home not destroyed, but immortal as it’s ashes provide for new life.

As humans, we tend to exempt ourselves from the laws of nature. In many ways, the human race has removed itself from the circle of life. For the past few hundred years especially, we have discovered countless ways in which to become far more advanced technologically than other species. We have successfully fought off many predators, illnesses, and disasters. People have come to expect that wildfires are no different from these other natural occurrences, seeing them as a mere annoyance that can be simply fixed. It becomes frustrating to us when we are faced with a natural phenomenon that cannot be avoided or overcome and when a fire comes to your doorstep there is only one solution...Run.

Somes forces cannot be put down or stopped and many shouldn’t be. Forest fires increase the wellness and health of a forest when they burn as they please. The innumerable minerals and nutrients released into the forest cannot be replaced. Depriving the forest of the fires that feed it isn’t an option. Nature must run it’s course and to try to quell a wildfire is like putting a hungry lion in a cage made out of toothpicks- it won’t be held for long and when released, it will savagely consume anything in front of it.

Instead, our communities need to prepare for the aftermath of these events, not waste time trying to stop them. It should not seem necessary to outsmart wildfires, but understand and accept the wellness that only they can instill back into our forests. As a species, we must move past our hatred for the temporary ugliness and dreariness fires bring to forests and look forward to the future they will deliver.

― Dr. Seuss

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated! I think you have some really valid points! @alexisann

alexisann BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I agree with this social issue. Many people build houses in the forests; not understanding the danger of wildfires. No matter the obstacle a wildfire will find a way either through or around it. "Our communities need to prepare for the aftermath of these events, not waste time trying to stop them" (paragraph 6). I agree with this statement entirely because the fire will make its own way. wild fire is uncontrollable; the only idea that makes sense is to prepare for the damage the fire does.