I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

April 2, 2010
By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen


Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?



I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


on Feb. 27 2011 at 5:34 pm
I really like your take on Lady Gaga. I have friends who are just huge fans of hers, but when asked the question "Why do you like her so much?" they just come back with generic answers--"I like her music, I think she's different, etc." You make some very good points in your argument, and I agree wholeheartedly.

on Feb. 25 2011 at 3:26 pm
Surrender SILVER, Largo, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments
this was a pretty appealing article on gaga by voicing your own personal thought of interest towards a person pretaining to be some sort of role model for people when gaga over looked one small attachment made to herself. You can't be a role model when you do thee exact opposite of a role model I don't think nor look at her as a remotely close to a role model very compelling article arguement hun lol! =)

on Feb. 23 2011 at 6:04 pm
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
27 articles 0 photos 425 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Hey, its your opinion, and if you don't like it, just walk away.  We all have a right to an opinion. Personally, I think this paper is spot-on, but if you don't, we should be okay with that.

on Feb. 23 2011 at 3:58 pm
DeadSoul SILVER, Rancho, California
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
He who pass through these gates, abandon all hope- motto for my old middle school, and from Dante's Inferno

First she dresses like a sausage,Then she comes out of an egg. Two more red carpet events and she'll be a Denny's Grand Slam

Her new song, Born this way is good, then i heard Madona, she totally copied her. It's one thing to influence, or adore, a whole nother thing to mimic


on Feb. 22 2011 at 10:00 pm
TrulyRosa BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Play the wrong note and we'll all b[e] flat."

Come on you guys, I don't like her either, or a lot of celebs out there today - but I feel sorry for them because of the way the media and all of us people have pretty much forced them to be.

on Feb. 21 2011 at 12:25 pm
paleteenager PLATINUM, Fountain Hills, Arizona
39 articles 0 photos 38 comments
I love Lady GaGa, and I think ignorance is the stem of your hatred flower. Give ME a break.

Scarlett13 said...
on Feb. 19 2011 at 5:18 pm
Scarlett13, Hockessin, Delaware
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
lots of celebs change because of fame and lots of them dont...  just because her style and what she looks like now compared to then doesn't mean that it changed her personality any way.  everyone grows up at some point and everyone expresses their self somehow.  if dressing up in these crazy costumes is how she express herself as an artist then fine.  don't hate just because she's dressing up in crazy costumes, if you want to hate, hate her for her, not because she wears ridiculous costumes...

on Feb. 19 2011 at 4:48 pm
-JustDance- PLATINUM, Medford, Oregon
23 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The manner in which we live and that in which we ought to live are things so wide asunder that he who quits the one to betake himself in the other is more likely to destroy than to save himself." ~Niccolo Machiavelli

So let us find the balance.

I don't hate Lady Gaga, I hate the world that forced her to become that way. She is immensely talented (you don't get into Juliard for nothing) but that fact that she felt she had to become something she wasn't isn't all that great. I believe there is a bigger part to her as a person but its our society that has pushed her to become this way.

on Feb. 18 2011 at 6:12 pm
maxxykat94 PLATINUM, Centreville, Virginia
29 articles 4 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do everything with excellence.

very good writing, as most of your readers have expressed.  as others have said, i could feel the passion with which you expressed yourself, yet it wasn't too overwhelming. i think it is a great accomplishment to have so many people change their mind and "convert" to your point of view. :] good work! i hope i can one day write as you did.

on Feb. 18 2011 at 4:39 pm
Jessica Prather BRONZE, Craig, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Very, very true! I don't like Lady Gaga either, for most of those reasons. I think that one of the only reasons she is so popular is because she's very controversial. It's sad that that's what kids of all ages look up to... :P good job!!! keep writing!

ravenbex said...
on Feb. 18 2011 at 9:48 am
she dresses that way BECAUSE SHE CAN. no one is stopping her. if you're a musician, it shouldn't matter anyways, should it?

ravenbex said...
on Feb. 18 2011 at 9:44 am
yes but it's not like anyone "normal" would have the guts to wear something crazy. what happened to embracing individuality?

ravenbex said...
on Feb. 18 2011 at 9:39 am
If Lady Gaga is so horribly bad, why is she so famous and popular? Same question goes for Justin Bieber... whom I cannot stand one bit

ravenbex said...
on Feb. 18 2011 at 9:34 am
Whether you love her or hate her, does it matter??? As much as these comments seem to shout and yell about how pathetic she is and she's a loser etc. etc., she's not going to stop making "horrible" music! At least we can learn that from her, that she doesn't quit just because there are people who disagree with what she does.

on Feb. 17 2011 at 4:50 pm
PurpleFeather BRONZE, Canton, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 124 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword." - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

This is so true. You are a fantastic writer. And the best part about it was that you weren't overly sarcastic or negative about it. I'm not a fan of LAdy Gaga, either, for the exact same reasons. I thought I was the only "crazy" one in the world!

And don't worry. The world will get tired of Lady Gaga. She's really just a 21st century reincarnation of Madonna.


on Feb. 17 2011 at 9:59 am
wow I never thought of it that way really. and the best part is you're absolutely right. i'm not a big fan of lady gaga for the reasons you talked about but i never really understood why until i read your argument/explanation. i really love this. great job!

on Feb. 16 2011 at 8:13 pm
LovelyDuckling GOLD, Hamilton, Montana
16 articles 0 photos 125 comments

Favorite Quote:
A vision without action is a hallucination.

my teacher used this as an example of an editorial in class! you should be realy proud because about 300 students in hamilton montana look up to you as a writer :)

LizzyW. BRONZE said...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 7:32 pm
LizzyW. BRONZE, San Jose, California
3 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Think it, do it, write it."

I just wrote a response artice to yours and I have submitted it... please check it out once it has been approved and tell me what you think

on Feb. 16 2011 at 9:54 am
AJMendler SILVER, Undisclosed, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be an individual. Do not be someone who you dream about being because you'll never accomplish anything if your a fake."
-Myself
We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Its true. The sad truth. She and Katy Perry are only trying to show us what "fame" is like when in reality fame is only something you GAIN WITH ACTUAL TALENT! Not some synthesized made up talent. I hope someone will kick them to the curb. Maybe when they die and have to face God's judgment they might realize that fame isnt everything your relationship with god and the people who you love is more important. 

 

Hope I said a point here. Reply if i did!


hannerz45 said...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 7:27 am
I think people look at pictures of her late teen years, when obviously she didnt dress like she did now. living under your parents, do you think she could get away with that? or much less, want to be that girl at school? I think the "normal" stuff was a phase... ex:I had a tomboy phase when I was younger, but I wouldnt call my girlier look a product of the "fame machine." I appreciate her art and what she does. I think it gives us something to look forward to and I think her art is impacting. Additionally, if you have ever ACTUALLY researched and watched interviews, there are strong complex meanings behind the majority of her costumes. she very meticulously plans out her performances, and I respect that. she doesnt just have other people dress her, sing of her, and plan her concenrts for her. She truly is creative and not a product merely of fame, but of ingenuity.