What do I think about Korean pop culture? | Teen Ink

What do I think about Korean pop culture?

By miaofutianjerry PLATINUM, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
miaofutianjerry PLATINUM, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

The phenomenal popularity of Squid Game seems unexpected to many people. But I think the success of this K-drama is inevitable.

Admittedly, the influence of current Korean culture began to soar worldwide. With Korean pop groups like BTS and BLACKPINK, more people have started to know about Korean pop culture. People's attention has gradually expanded from music to TV dramas. Therefore, I think the global influence of Korean pop culture has paved the way for the popularity of Squid Game.

In my view, the fundamental reason for the success of Squid Game is that it can reflect society and resonate with people in a non-heavy way. Generally, Dramas with themes related to social issues are tend to be slightly depressing. However, Squid Game depicts the competitive status in real-life society as relatively fun. In this drama, participants of the game have a desire for money for various reasons. They are driven by greed, but they also show kindness and care for others. The amusing plot also reveals the underlying cruel competition, life, and death. Squid Game is the epitome of society. Our society is impossible to have a clear boundary between black and white. There are many gray areas. Villains can have a positive side. People who seem kind can also behave badly under extreme cases. Consequently, people who laugh and feel nervous while watching Squid Game will also be triggered to think about society and create personal connections with the drama.