Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 10:35 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 407 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

Of course I see the other point-of-view. And I see the physical reverberations of that point-of-view in people who never really grew out of the childish notion of how 'cool' alcohol is...

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 10:31 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 407 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

Yeah! America should relax! I mean what are laws for anyway? Its not like they're put there for the good of the people... Like that would ever happen... They should let all the criminals convicted of DUI's free! Not like a little alcohol here or there at a young age can cause an eventual addiction which could lead to abusive habits and reckless decisions. Who cares about statistics anyway? Certainly not us! Only people like those stuck-up brainwashed know-it-alls who have to watch the ones they love struggle to overcome the affects of alcohol on their life everyday. They're so close-minded! Nothing like us. Why can't we all get drunk and roam the streets in our tender ages? Its not like we want to drink because we're masking deeper phsycological scars or the fact that we've fallen prey to the thinly disguised media tricks. Never! We're far to intelligent for that. Why else would we be drawn to substances prohibited for our better good? Those sort of desires are explained by one thing and one thing alone -intellegence.

Cheers!

on Nov. 30 2009 at 4:09 pm
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan
62 articles 1 photo 881 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some things will never change"---Tupac

Great point! If you tell a teen that they could not do something, then of course if they want it, they'll do it anyway. The outcome of this situation will be worse than the outcome of the situation in which a parent or law allows teens to do something. I do think that some laws and rules should be in place for young adults, don't get me wrong. But certain things like having a boyfriend at 13 should be allowed, that way if the teen makes a mistake, they could learn from it in the future. I know it is also possible for us teens to learn from our mistakes while sneaking and doing something, but at least we don't have to worry about breaking a rule or a law.

I do agree that lowering the drinking age to 18 is fair; Being that these are legal adults. If an 18 year old could buy an apartment or even a house, why can't they drink?

This is a great article.

on Nov. 30 2009 at 3:42 pm
emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon
6 articles 3 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
Often times, the test of courage is not to die, but to live.
~ Vittorio Alfieri

hey no offense but...

were kids, we break the rules. its what we do, kay? and yeah, ur rite and everything but try to open ur mind a little and see another point of view.

on Nov. 30 2009 at 3:37 pm
emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon
6 articles 3 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
Often times, the test of courage is not to die, but to live.
~ Vittorio Alfieri

oscardonovan, i dont drink but i agree. if we just relaxed the rules and made them more like guidelines, we'd have less problems. its like, the movie rating system here in the U.S. they dont recommend that you see pg 13 if your only 10, but they seriously could care less. you can be 16 and see rated R cuz there not gonna check u or anything. im 15, and ive been to tons of R movies. america just needs to relax.

on Nov. 27 2009 at 1:57 pm
E.L.W. PLATINUM, Glen Allen, Virginia
31 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels.
The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes -
the ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo.
They push the human race forward.

I think Europe has it right on this one -- the way they do it over there makes so much more sense.

I personally think 18 0r even 16 is a perfectly fine age limit.

Good article!

on Nov. 25 2009 at 5:11 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I'm from England, where the mimimum drinking age is 18, and think that you have made a very valid point! Rarely do you see over-18s in the same state as their drunken uner-18 counterparts. This is because, since alcohol is readily availabe, it loses its allure - as well as the fact that you don't feel that you must drink all 3 litres of white cider so as not to get it confiscated! I'm 16, but still get drunk a lot with my friends, its not encouraged, but similarly isn't seen as an unusual thing to do. I suspect those who insist on preaching at and criticisising you have very little experience when it comes to enjoying alcohol either, they've just been brainwashed.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Nov. 21 2009 at 6:04 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 407 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

You state this in a very convincing manner but I'm afraid I must disagree with you. The drinking age is where it is because the development of the frontal lobe. As you so proved in your article teens are more likely to make bad decisions concerning alcohol at such a young age. And eighteen is a very young age. You are 98%more likely to become an alcoholic if you begin drinking before the age of 21. I hope you take this into consideration.

God bless,

...,

on Oct. 22 2009 at 2:15 pm
twilighter_360 GOLD, NYOB, New Jersey
12 articles 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A bird dosen't sing because it has an answer.A bird sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

"Give peace a chance." --John Lennon

this dosent make alot of sense...if the drinking age is lowered it will cause more problems

on Oct. 15 2009 at 12:07 pm
Dokidoki-rin GOLD, Clarence, New York
14 articles 6 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whattaya gonna do, ya know?

I agree with you, but your points are very poorly presented. :( Also, you use statistics to generalize teens and make false assumptions!

on Oct. 13 2009 at 4:20 pm
I so agree with this. I think that if we get a chance to prove the law wrong I think we will take advantage of it. Because me as a party boy I think that many of us don't drink a lot because of the knowledge that knowing if we get caught we are in trouble. So thanks for standing up for us.

Jazzy said...
on Oct. 12 2009 at 5:59 am
Jazzy, Stickney, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Running will get you no were so don\'t hide from it.

I think sean 3 is totally right when you say that underage drinking will cause more accidents will cause mor accidents if legalized.I mean theres so many teens these days teens are getting killed because of alcohol.If the drinking age is lowered then it will increase those chances of anybody getting killed.so i think no i don't agree with letting young teens drink.

on Oct. 11 2009 at 5:48 pm
FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado
51 articles 0 photos 203 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

I 100% DISAGREE with you. I had friends that where alcoholics in 7TH GRADE!!!! Well, they had to either steal it from their parents or get a friends brother to buy it, if he remembered. I'm not saying that you are saying to lower the drinking age that much. There were a couple of kids that had to go to court for drinking behind our school. One of the girls was talking to me about it in Spanish. She said that just going to court was awful, not even going to jail. She said that breaking the law is terrible, even when your not caught because it leaves a bad reputation. Even if you changed yourself, everyone still knows you as the druggie, the drinker, the pregnant girl. Lowering the drinking laws would make it worse, making it easier for them to access the alcohol, making it so they could drink and drink and drink right in the face of the law.

huskiefan said...
on Sep. 30 2009 at 5:20 pm
i agree if they lowed the drinking age then less teens would be "breaking the law" and more people would drink responsibly(maby)

Sean3 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 23 2009 at 8:54 pm
Sean3 BRONZE, Fowler, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 13 comments
Your point is interesting, but lowering the age will only cause MORE problems, More people becoming alcoholics, More people Dieing in Motor Accedents, more STDs and under age  pregnancies , and much much more.... And just beacuse a nother country is doing it doesnt mean it is right. <br />
And the military doesnt just kill people- these days it helps people get over poverty... but you might have some points with the whole Voters Age thing...

jman said...
on Sep. 23 2009 at 2:32 pm
i disagree. yes there will be less under aged drinkers but there will be more drunk drivers.

on Sep. 19 2009 at 12:42 pm
sarahhope BRONZE, Stevinsville, Michigan
2 articles 6 photos 18 comments
i agree with you it should be lowered

Stephanie said...
on Sep. 14 2009 at 7:14 pm
I disagree. Not all teenagers drink because they just want to rebel and break the law. Many of my friends drink because it was introduced to them at a young age by either their family or older friends. I don't know MANY people who drink purely because it's illegal.

And as for the part where you said that if lowering the drinking age doesn't work, then they can just change the law back, it's not that easy. I have never heard of the government changing and then re-changing laws at the snap of a finger. Maybe I've been living in a hole, but I've always been told it takes more than that.

JoCo Girl said...
on Sep. 10 2009 at 3:08 pm
I disagree. Perhap some teens drink illegally just to break the law, but think how many teens don't because they don't want to break the law. If it is available at an earlier age, several teens would see it as the popular thing to do and they would start drinking. The age should not be lowered!!!

on Sep. 2 2009 at 10:21 pm
BellaLuna1 BRONZE, Ozone Park, New York
2 articles 0 photos 93 comments
So right! i so agree its like you want to just break the law or take a risk so lets drink. stupidity really if you think about it