Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

protecting your freedom? it's not like the US army is defending USA from attacking bomb raiders or anything! it's US soldiers going into other countries and fighting people in other countries! call it invasion, call it peace-keeping, call it supporting unstable governments, but it's not protecting your freedom.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

What do you mean?

af12 said...
wow you have an interesting life as it seems

af12 said...
You have a good point

I agree

mutekid016 GOLD, Gap, Pennsylvania

"Remember when you play like a girl used to be an insult?" Mia Hamm

I totally agree with both of you. i mean really, kids are going to drink and when your 18 your considered an adult. the legal limit of drinking should be lowered. If it's ok for you to own a dangerous weapon, then why cant you drink?

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

I see your point, but I don't agree. Drinking is stupid no matter what age you are. And about the whole "when you turn 18 you can legally kill people in the military", you're acting like that's all we're doing. Like our military goes overseas just to start killing people. Well, we don't. People may not like to admit it, but the military is protecting our freedom. And if they have to kill the enemy in the process, so be it. And if you don't like it move to Mexico. As for me, I support all our troops and all of those who fight and those who have died for our countries freedom. Even though this country doesn't appreciate them.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

I just want to say, how many of you who have posted ever had alcohol? I have, but not in big quantities. It's not a big deal! The think is, control yourself and you won't end up crashing your car and killing your mates!!! You don't have to drink until you pass out- just have a little and that's enough to loosen you up. By the way, in these European countries, little kids have watered-down wine and in the Middle Ages, all people ever had was cider, wine, and beer cause it was dangerous to drink water because it was dirty (used for dumping garbage etc)

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

dude... respect others, okay?

i can back up your argument about italy + some other european countries. I think that if people didn't make such a big deal of alcohol, underage drinking would decrease.

I agree with your overall point, but I think the logic you use to back it up is dubious. Trust me, I know all about teenagers boozing it up on the outskirts of the law--I live in a town with its own brewery, where most people are drinking by the age of 12. But does that mean we should lower the drinking age to 12 in my town, because, y'know, we're all doing it anyway? Like I said, I agree that the drinking age is too high, but convincing people that a law should be removed because people break it a lot anyway is.... just not likely to happen.

little-miss-mistakes GOLD, Plano, Texas

even after all these years the sun has never said to the earth, you owe me... look at what a love like that can do, it can light up the sky

i see your points but why the nned to drink in general, it just screws thing up

BrittneyCloud SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

ok so your right about the fact that cops have alot of problems with drinking and driving, but who said those drinking and driving arent younger than 21? maybe lowering would cause less drinking and driving. Especially if the person is driving to get home so they dont get caught for drinking. Not all 18 year olds are mature enought, but not all of them arent either.

I agree with you. Not because i'm a hard core drinker or anything, but its just the fact that at 18 your "considered" an adult. You can vote, buy a gun, drive, join the military, and the list goes on. If at 18 you can do all that why is it that we cant drink?

EmeliaCarm BRONZE, G.C., New York
1 article 2 photos 1 comment
I completely agree! I am a Senior in High School, I am 18 years old, and I had my first sip of alcohol in 8th grade! I went to my first party in 9th. Note I have never been fully, pass out don't remember a thing, drunk. But that doesn't mean I haven't come close. I now know of girls who are in 6th grade who have been drunk every weekend. Its crazy!

I agree with the fact that we drink underage because it gives us that small sense of danger, were breaking a law *OMG*! It may seem stupid but its true.

Lowering the age limit would stop a lot of the underage drinking, because it would no longer be as dangerous, taking the fun out of it!

Gabs(: SILVER said...
Gabs(: SILVER, Florence, Kentucky

Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that's what makes you different. -Sara Dessen.

Im nit sure if i agree, yes people are doing it anyways but with 18 year olds they have just learned how to drive adn it may make it worse. But idk i think everything should be one age, driving,drinking smoking voting, it should all be one age.

Ellen Bonham BRONZE, Beulah, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I agree that the drinking age should be 18 im almost 18 and in highschool you know that a lot of highschools between the ages of 14-18 drink once or twice or even more then that if they go to partys all the tme I mean there are countrys that dont have a drinking age at all why can we just have it to be 18 so we can stop haveing to worry about the cops busting people. also I think that there might be less car accidents and people that die

Anita PLATINUM said...
Anita PLATINUM, Santa Cruz, California
thank you so much for saying this. I agree whole-heartedly. Thank you thank you thank you!

MishGirl GOLD said...
MishGirl GOLD, Mason, Ohio

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”
“True friends stab you in the front.”

I completely agree with you. I'm a fifteen year old and I already know of a TON of people who have drank just because of peer pressure or whatever the case may be. But if we raised the legal age they wouldn't have, but then again if we raised it then more and more teens would do it anyway just to see if they'd actually get caught or if they really would get in trouble. So there's pros and cons to both lowering and rasing it.

sprinkshine said...
Oh well. Who cares? If people are stupid enough to abuse alcohol then let them.

E.A.Costa BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina

It doesn't matter what color my skin is, how long my hair is, or whether I'm a woman or a man-John Lennon

That would only make more problems, Italy and France, countries with no drinking age have almost half as many alcohol related deaths.

i think it should be 18 as well im an 18 year old high school male and i love to party with friends but having to worry about cops all night is a huge buzz kill being able to drink at 18 would be alot easyer on us teens and also on the cops who are out looking for kids partying