Skin Deep | Teen Ink

Skin Deep

November 5th the day after Barack Obama was announced president. One month after I, an African American moved to a Predominantly White area. The ratio of African Americans is approximately 200:1.I felt like an alien to begin with, moving from a place where the ratio was reversed. Mostly everyone seemed friendly. But here I am on November the 5th day after a black man was elected into office. People’s true colors begin to show, and mine becomes more apparent to me then it did before, racism. Comments made about Obama being black, all portrayed him as how most black people on Television are. But it is the media that has given the stereo types, how can I blame them. One of my fellow classmates started to talk about the hope in possibly assassination of Barack. Another one of my classmates commented that she and all the white’s were going to be made into slaves. I picked up on bits and pieces of arguments and conversations all day. This Left me with one controversial thought. The racial opposition to Barack coming into Office, is it fear for the country, or fear for the Caucasians in America. Do they fear that if a Black man has too much power so will other Blacks, or is it fear that this man will not know how to run the country?

FateRunner BRONZE, San Jose, California
I am white and I love Obama.  

ToyRe GOLD said...
ToyRe GOLD, Monterey, California

"This too shall pass." and " When God leads to a cliff, jump, because He'll either catch you or teach you how to fly."

It is simply stupidity that their mothers and fathers have put in their heads