Death Penalty: Wrong Or Right? | Teen Ink

Death Penalty: Wrong Or Right?

By ShamyaR BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
ShamyaR BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Capital crimes or capital offenses, such as terrorism could result in punishment by death, also known as, a death penalty. Death penalty is only done in certain states. Death penalty should not be used because some people are innocent, the suspect may have a mental illness, and crimes could be handled differently.

The few people that are and were on death row could be innocent. According to Death Penalty Information Center “There is no way to tell how many of more than 1000 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent.”(“Executed But Possibly Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center”) Suspects could be innocent, but once the government realizes the mistake, it may be too late. At least 4.1% of the people sentenced to death in the U.S are probably wrongfully declared guilty. States are making mistakes of the ultimate punishment. (Maron ) The government should have taken a different toll, if they probably weren’t sure. According to Death Penalty Information Center, 2003 alone, 10 wrongfully convicted defendants were released from death row. They were accused of a crime they didn’t commit, but they were not on a death row.” Giving the people another chance at life would be better than taking another person’s life, especially if they’re falsely accused. They could handle punishment and protection without running the risk of a false and immutable punishment.

Another reason why death penalty isn’t useful is because the suspect could be mentally ill. Half of the people that were executed have some type of mental illness. (Mental Health America) For people that actually need help with their illness are getting executed and some probably can’t control it, but that’s what medicine is for. States could provide psychiatric treatment to the suspect with mental illness on death row to be able to do something successful. (“Position Statement 54: Death Penalty and People with Mental Illnesses”) This shows that states are giving them a chance to change and proving to the government that they are worth staying alive. According to (Blecker) also says, “In fact, research shows that people with mental illness pose no greater risk violence than the average person.” The mentally ill crowd is less than likely to become a threat of corruption than the standard personage. They should at least check to see if the suspect has a mental illness before deciding their termination.
My last logic is crimes could be handled better than a death penalty.According to Bekler, “…states with the death penalty can and should morally refine their statues”(Blecker) They’re saying that states with death penalty should properly clarify their regulations. They would already be suffering in jail. There has been an unsaid “code of honor” in prisons that effectually depend upon inmates to kill such delinquents. Therefore, jail would probably be a better choice.

Death penalty could be useful in many frequent different actions. Death row avoids impending homicides. However, death penalty is not a confirmed defense to approaching murders. If someone takes a person's life, the balance of appeal should be renewed. The previous statement is basically saying they want pain in the direction of someone that wronged them. In other words, they want revenge. It bestows termination upon victims. That may be true, but you would still be killing a person, does that mean that it provides closure to their family too by killing the people that also killed them? Although some of the opposing facts are true, death penalty and doesn’t seem to be essential.

Death Penalty is not useful and shouldn’t be constitutional. Although death penalty helps the decreasing of murder rates, the government is still killing a human being. Death penalty is a serious issue that should be recognized and taking a life isn’t helping anything.

Works Cited
Blecker, By Robert. “Expert: 5 Ways to Improve the U.S. Death Penalty System - CNN.com.” CNN. N.p., 3 July 2014. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.
“Executed But Possibly Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center.” N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.
“Innocence and the Death Penalty: The Increasing Danger of Executing the Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center.” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
“Position Statement 54: Death Penalty and People with Mental Illnesses.” Mental Health America. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.

Mixhey said...
You make a good argument, but if there is no death penalty people are more likely to do bad things because the worse that could happen is them getting stuck in jail, and jail is not that bad they get three meals a day and a roof over there heads.