Are GMO's the Next National Health Risk? | Teen Ink

Are GMO's the Next National Health Risk?

A world problem that many people like to ignore and deny is genetically modified food (GMO’s) that are posing a national health risk. GMO’s are living organisms whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated in a laboratory through genetic engineering. This creates unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods. There are restrictions and bans to the production and sale of GMO’s in more than sixty developed countries. The United States has approved GMO’s based on studies conducted by the same corporations that create and profit off of them. Once the chemicals in the GMO’s are released into the environment, they cannot be recalled. There are many reason for why GMO’s are dangerous, some are; they are unhealthy, cause long term health problems, they contaminate forever, they increase herbicide use and harm the environment. Numerous health problems increased after GMO’s were introduced in 1996. The percentage of Americans with three or more chronic illnesses jumped from 7% to 13% in just 9 years. GMO crops can harm birds, insects, amphibians, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources, and are unsustainable.

Solving the GMO problem is not as hard as some think. First people must read all food labels and keep their families on strict organic diets and avoid all GMO products. This collective effort of all Americans can someday force GMO’s out of our food supply. Thanks to the research and information about GMO’s, public awareness is growing and this problem is starting to be addressed by not only the American people but nationally.