There's a Reason the Country is in Sucky Times | Teen Ink

There's a Reason the Country is in Sucky Times

July 26, 2011
By yousaypotato... SILVER, Peacedale, Rhode Island
yousaypotato... SILVER, Peacedale, Rhode Island
9 articles 1 photo 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A good friend will bail you out of jail. But a best friend will be sitting right there with you saying 'Dang, we really screwed up this time.'"


Right now, there is a lot of blame on President Obama for the country's economic state. As well as it's healthcare, military, etc. Most of the people who blame Obama, I believe, have become ignorant to all other aspects of our government. If you study the way our government works, you will realize that the president cannot fix (or break) the country by him or herself. The president cannot pass a law, act, or bill without the consent of Congress. But, Congress can override a presidents veto to pass something. So, after this little lesson on the government I just gave you, you should now understand that Obama cannot fix the country all on his lonesome. He needs the help of Congress. And, currently, the majority of Congress is Republican. If you are not ignorant, you should know that Obama is not a Republican. He is a Democrat. Republicans and Democrats don't usually get along. They are big babies when it comes to agreeing on things. It's very juvenile if you ask me. On the current issue of the debt ceiling, the Republicans claim that they want a compromise between the two parties. President Obama has clearly stated that he wants the same thing. What President Obama's idea to fix the debt is to mainly raise taxes. BUT NOT FOR ALL PEOPLE. The raised taxes will be for people with high incomes. In other words, for rich people with money coming out of their butts. The main reason Republicans don't want this is because most Republicans are the rich people. They don't want to raise their taxes, even if they can afford it. Now, the Republicans' idea is to cut spending. That is not such a bad idea, but the things they want to cut are not the best. They want to cut spending on things like Education and Social Security. If you do not know, social security makes sure that you don't become unreasonabley poor once you retire. It takes care of part of your healthcare, etc. I'm not sure why Republicans want to cut that... anyways...back to the compromise. Compromises are very good in theory. In order to achieve a compromise, both sides of the arguement must agree to a portion of the other sides' idea. So it is a combination of the two ideas. Now, recently, the Republicans in Congress have all taken a pledge that they will not raise taxes in any way whatsoever...if they will not in any way raise taxes, how in the world is a compromise going to be made? That is my question. So, little grasshoppers, Obama is not totally to blame for this big mess. It is a combination of many things. A problem as big as our mess of our country cannot be totally one person's fault. It is not George W. Bush's fault. Although he was very incompetent. It is not Obama's fault either. Although it may seem that way. There's a reason the country is in sucky times. And the reason is not Barrack Obama. It is people not getting along and being stupid. That is why.


The author's comments:
Please read the whole thing. I know it may seem dauntingly long. But please read it. I think it's quite good