The Iranian Nuclear Hassle | Teen Ink

The Iranian Nuclear Hassle

June 10, 2010
By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Diplomats and ambassadors from Britain and America have journeyed to Iran over a war that should have been cut short ages ago. They've gone there to settle an urgent issue which some feel could lead to a nuclear war. The thick of the matter is - Iran has a nuclear research centre. America feels this may be a threat to them, if Iran feels enough renewed anger to launch an attack on them for the oil theft. Now it's come to a battle, trying to decommission as many of their nuclear research centres as possible.

This is simply an outrage. Not only to me, as an anti-American writer, but to many Iranians and Americans alike.

America has been accused many times of imperialism, such as when it invaded Iraq for oil. America seems to have a prejudice against Islamic countries, perhaps stemming from the 9/11 bombings. But a few hundred civilians died in that raid, which was committed by a group of extremists. Iran, Iraq and several other muslim countires have outlawed the Taliban, Al Quaeda and other such groups, saying they are not even muslims.

Iran has been poor for a long time. Stripped of its oil and invaded by Britain, the country has been under a lot of pressure, and the slightest threat of retaliation is taken to be a serious threat. There is huge controversy over whether America forged the documents their government originally claimed were evidence that Iran had nuclear weapons.

There are many issues with this action. They've even tried to impose sanctions limiting the research until it can be shut down altogether. The reasons why it would be a bad decision include :

* For the most part, it would appear that Iran has no nuclear weapons at all.
* If left alone, Iraq has no motive to use them - the conquering lust of the extremists does not lie at the heart of the people.
* The research could help the whole plannet use nuclear power more safely, efficiently and more often.
* The money Iraq could gain if it sells the electrisity generated would be huge - more than enough to repay the oil that was taken from them and neighboring Iran (over time), and it would help the country develop and become a major player in the U.N. This would help unite the East and bring it into the list of more developed countries.
* Iraq, as a nation, should have the right to have its own nuclear weapons, particularly with the looming threat of nuclear war becoming more and more prominent.

America could be doing this for many reasons, but it is evident that it is not making fair dealings with Iran. The British peacekeeper troops are, for the most part, being withdrawn, but America continues to put public pressure on Iran to adhere to its policy. Unless American and British diplomats can learn respect and reason, putting the totalitarianism aside for the time being.

There would be nothing wrong with having Iran and Iraq being more developed and more powerful. As a writer, I believe it to be completely unfair, and another method America (and, admittedly, the United Kingdom) is using to keep Europe mighty and Asia and Africa weak, and dependant on them. Perhaps America holds the European economy afloat for the time being, but at the end of the day, Europe could survive on its own, and America has no real threat. I can see manipulation amongst the diplomats and believe that the threat of America cutting off its loans is being used as a larger and larger chip in the bargaining. At the end of the day, the American government is pushing forwards for this, similiar to France at the end of the First World War. It was only because of the harsh terms of the Treaty of Versailles that HItler was able to come to power and lead his nation to commit such atrocities as the holocaust. If America continues to push for harsher and harsher restrictions on Iran and Iraq, we could see a new Hitler and holocaust of the 21st century, coming from either side.

Change the way you see things. Does everything have to be so threatening, or are the world's superpowers kicking a big fuss over nothing but their own pride and dislikes.


The author's comments:
I'll admit, I haven't been able to gather together many statistics or details for this. The Iranian Nuclear Crisis is a relatively new subject, but I have tried to make it as accurate and relevant as I can. If you have any questions, or if you want to find out more, please do not hesitate to email me.