The Case for Immigration | Teen Ink

The Case for Immigration

By Taymon Beal BRONZE, Rindge, New Hampshire
Taymon Beal BRONZE, Rindge, New Hampshire

America has long been called the 'land of opportunity'. Every elementary school student learns the story behind this saying, and behind the development of the United States into what it is today. America has come to where it is because of the efforts of millions of immigrants who came to this land in search of a better life for themselves and their families. They had to work hard in an often hostile country, and through their sacrifices America has become the great nation that it is.

America has also long been called a 'nation of immigrants'. This is because everyone here, except for full-blooded Native Americans (who have had their own problems), is descended from someone who was born somewhere else and came over here. As such, many of the prejudices that Americans have faced aren't even valid. If you hate 'immigrants' in America, then you hate Americans, including yourself. Everyone has heard of the 'melting pot'. The truth is, that's just a term used to describe the effects that immigration has had since the beginning.

Today, in the 21st century, there is a new group of immigrants that has faced much prejudice and opposition: Mexicans. Conditions in Mexico are often very poor, and it is difficult to get ahead. Seeking a better life as so many before them in all different nations have, many want to come to America, where they can work to better their lives and those of their families. This is essentially the American Dream, and it should be extended to them as it has been to those before.

Unfortunately, there has been a huge problem for these people. Our current immigration system generally doesn't allow these people to come over here. The process is often difficult and expensive, and for many families it simply isn't possible. This leaves only one option: illegal immigration. Once here, however, most immigrants have proven good, law-abiding citizens. Opponents of immigration have claimed that they take jobs that belong to 'Americans', but this is wrong; not only is the concept of 'Americans' nonexistent, but most of the jobs in question are ones that we don't want. They're doing us a favor. Many illegal immigrants even pay taxes, contrary to popular belief.

Immigrants simply want the chance at a better life, just as our ancestors wanted. In the process, they are contributing to our nation and making it a better place. We must do all that we can to help them, first by reforming immigration policy to make it easier for people to come legally. At the same time, we must help those who didn't get the chance to come legally by granting them a path to citizenship. In the meantime, we should let them have drivers' licenses, help them learn English, and give them at least some support until they do learn it. Immigration is and always has been the lifeblood of America; we must always keep our doors open for those who wish to come.

LilA111402 said...
LilA111402,
I feel like what they are saying in this pice is ture and we should give these immigrants a chance.

davidtucker said...
davidtucker,
"i like your article''SURE

davidtucker said...
davidtucker,
I just wanted to say that I am extremely happy to see that someone else who has thought about and talked about illegal immigration in the US has noted that many immigrants take the positions and jobs that most Americans think they are too good to take and the jobs they never want. Anyway I want you to know that I appreciate that you brought this note to attention because so many people either dont know or choose to look away from that fact. Well done.

davidtucker said...
davidtucker,
I just wanted to say that the thing with Immigration you never know when a person from ISIS could just pop in

benji said...
I just wanted to say that I am extremely happy to see that someone else who has thought about and talked about illegal immigration in the US has noted that many immigrants take the positions and jobs that most Americans think they are too good to take and the jobs they never want. Anyway I want you to know that I appreciate that you brought this note to attention because so many people either dont know or choose to look away from that fact.  Well done.

Titus.T said...
Titus.T, Orlando, Florida
i like your article