NEW AMERICA AND THE CONSTITUTION | Teen Ink

NEW AMERICA AND THE CONSTITUTION

September 10, 2009
By caleb18 BRONZE, Corpus Christi, Texas
caleb18 BRONZE, Corpus Christi, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Why is it that all of a sudden the year 2009 has to be a year of change? Maybe it is not just this year, maybe the sudden change in America as we know it has not been sudden but gradually building? In the last couple of years I have seen a dramatic upheaval of what I thought America should be
All of this leads to my argument. What is going on in Washington? Mind you I am no political analyst nor do I have a degree in foreign and domestic policy, but what I do have is mind that is concerned with some issues in my government.
Why is it that I get the feeling that America is no longer “For the people, by the people?” America was founded on the principles of freedom not just religious but from the freedom of persecution and infringement of rights. Recently with the election of Barack Obama all I seem to hear is socialize this and socialize that ,and for the people who are going to try and say that Obama is not “,socializing,” anything let me remind you that a government run and controlled anything is a form of socialism for it is for the whole of the “society.” Take the health care reform bill that is currently of the floor of our nation’s congress. The thought of my government controlling the possibilities of me or my family getting healthcare scares me. What happens if in America we get a tyrant who has ill feelings for a certain group, religion, or race? Do not say that it could not happen for believe me it can. Rome was at one point, before the age of Caesars, actually a republic much like ours; they had a senate and different counsels on matters of state and even had a crude sense of checks and balances. Like history shows the republic was short lived. Rome got someone who would not leave and set himself as the champion of the people and the people were his people who he could control and conquer if necessary.
Now I am not saying that America is going to become the next U.S.S.R or China but I am concerned that my government will overstep the constitution and cross the line of personal choice to federal novation. Certain rights I believe should be in the hands of the citizen as in the raising of a child and the choice of where you want to live. Now the Constitution ordains Federal government to protect me from certain harms and threats that are both foreign and domestic, but it does not say that the government has the right to dictate what I make as a personal choice.
In summary I think that America needs to get back to the way our fore fathers envisioned America. Where Americans are protected by their government and ruled by their God.


The author's comments:
I just had been discussing policy with friends and got the urge to write this...

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 17 comments.


caleb said...
on Jul. 29 2010 at 12:26 am
oh no you didnt offend me at all.

on Jul. 28 2010 at 10:46 pm
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland
4 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

Sorry...didn't think it  went through the first time so I put it in twice.

on Jul. 28 2010 at 10:42 pm
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland
4 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

All I meant to say was that the allusion to Rome was a little bit too vague for my taste, and could have been explained more accurately. I'm deeply sorry if I offended you. As for an empire being what Rome needed- the Republic had been going corrupt for a long time and was beyond repair (this is a rather complex issue but there are a few good internet sources about it if you're interested). Sure, there were some crazies, some bloody power struggles-but for Rome it was inevitable. But I do somewhat agree with you about your main point- Obama should be more careful with the constitution. Your article was eloquent and had a good flow- I just thing the Rome part needs elaboration.

on Jul. 28 2010 at 10:35 pm
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland
4 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

All I meant to say was that your allusion to Rome was a little too vague to sate my apettite for history-and that I wasn't really getting what you meant there. Of course I understand what you're saying about our government- Obama needs to be more aware of where the constitution draws the line. As for rulers like Nero and Caligula there's no doubt they were insane- but the Roman Republic had been rotting away for a long time and was beyond repair (this is rather complex and I don't think I can explain it very well but there are good sources about this on the internet). Anyways, I'm sorry if I offended you. I think you have a very eloquent writing style, too, so keep it up!

caleb18 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 28 2010 at 5:37 pm
caleb18 BRONZE, Corpus Christi, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments
One I never said anything negative about being a dictator nor did I specify in my article on which way the roman leaders became dictators. Two rome did have a dictator for life but at the same time they also had a senate so in that case the word dictator is meaning a modern president. three the parallels that I made between the future America and Rome was that the slide into a monoarchy isnt unimaginable. I think that you missed the whole point of what I was trying to say and took it as an attempt to give a history lesson on the roman empire. And if you think that a empire is what rome needed please explain nero and many other ceasers who started of "pricipled" and turned into  power hungry blood thirsty men.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 4:41 pm
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland
4 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

I think you got your Rome facts a little muddled. Caesar was a war hero who was loved by the people and dictator for life was bestowed upon him. Quickly afterwards the senators killed him because he had so much power. Then there was almost a civil war, but Augustus came to power and gave Rome great things like a courier system and police. He was a good leader and highly principled man. He kept the outward appearance of a republic while giving himself certain powers. The republic at that point was not worth saving because it had been deteriorating for about a century. An empire was what Rome needed (though Romans didn't call their leaders emperors until long afterwards because they hated monarchy). I mean, I like what you're saying, and I'm all for making historical connections, but just try and fact check a little more next time.

fandangopink said...
on Oct. 12 2009 at 7:20 pm
I understand. And they don't like liberals either. Go figure.

on Oct. 11 2009 at 9:45 pm
CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."






















- Pres. Ronald Reagan

well yeah. it's just that say, why do people not like christian AKA baptists preachin in public, but the don't necessarily mind for example, Catholocism?

fandangopink said...
on Oct. 11 2009 at 9:39 pm
Okay. I know.. and a lot of people hate other religions too. Such as Islam, Jewish, ya know?

on Oct. 11 2009 at 9:37 pm
CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."






















- Pres. Ronald Reagan

I didn't mean that YOU hate christianity, but i was refering to a lot of other people.

fandangopink said...
on Oct. 11 2009 at 8:18 pm
I don't hate christianity. It's just that not everyone is christian... and people don't seem to recognize that. No one notices all of the other cultures and religions that America offers.

on Oct. 8 2009 at 9:59 pm
CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."






















- Pres. Ronald Reagan

I completely agree with Carolina. Every nation, which is very few, that have honored God have lasted. For example, Israel. Throughout hundreds of years Israel has had countries try to destroy it, but here it stands. I personally do not want to turn my back on God and dare his judgment. Also, why does Christianity, above any other religion, become hated the most by others? Just a thought. What about it scares politicians? WHY ARE THEY THREATENED by the TRUTH???

on Oct. 2 2009 at 4:10 pm
Carolina SILVER, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
8 articles 3 photos 32 comments
America was founded on Christian principles, and do we really want to be a nation without God? I don't.

Huntonn said...
on Oct. 1 2009 at 3:32 pm
I love this piece and I am glad that other people my age realize what is going on in the world, and to America. It is sad that we are growing up in an time where we fear our own government. I agree with you when you say "...America is no longer "for the people by the people" It hurts to know the people in Washing have become so corrupt and no longer stands for the principles on which our country was built upon. Our current situation has been "gradually building" as you said, and if the citizens of the United States do not wake now our country will fall and all that our Founding Fathers worked for will be lost. I fear for my country more than anything else during these hard times, and I pray that we will know again what freedom truly means.

HOPEMVP said...
on Oct. 1 2009 at 10:33 am
its called freedom of speech but use it for the better. its called freedom of religion which means I can believe what ever I want. And President Obama wants to change the consituition which includes The Bill of Rights

caleb18 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 30 2009 at 11:11 pm
caleb18 BRONZE, Corpus Christi, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments
thanks but yea what i meant by their God is that when founded people let their religous beliefs as well as personal,dictate their actions.

fandangopink said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 10:02 pm
Funny how America should be "ruled by heir God" when America is a vastly diverse country and not everyone is a Christian, and not everyone believes in God. Just a thought... but I agree with most of your other points and it is generally well written, though a bit choppy at certain times. Altogether very interesting...