Should the TikTok ban be allowed? And is it a violation of your first amendment? | Teen Ink

Should the TikTok ban be allowed? And is it a violation of your first amendment?

May 21, 2024
By JhoRCan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
JhoRCan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

According to NewsRoom, more than seven million businesses advertise or sell their products on tiktok and more than 225,000 jobs are supported by individuals on TikTok. The potential ban of TikTok, a social media platform known for networking, creation, and sharing in the United States, raises significant worry regarding its impact on the first amendment right (the right to freedom of speech) and its economical effect.

While the first amendment guarantees the right to freedom of speech and primarily defends individuals from government censorship, by banning tiktok, which serves as a platform for users to express themselves, and share their opinions this could possibly infringe upon these fundamental rights. Jenna Leventoff, a senior policy counsel at the American Civil Liberties claims, “We’re deeply disappointed that our leaders are once again attempting to trade our First Amendment rights for cheap political points during an election year.” Leventoff’s remark reflects a mutual emotional sentiment shared by those who see a first amendment violation when thinking about the TikTok ban and even suggests the censorship may even be a strategically planned political move. While seemingly impossible that a government would do such a thing, we are quickly reminded of the unfairness within our system created to serve and protect. 

Moreover, another argument arises. If TikTok is getting banned, and the council is arguing that “the Chinese government could access sensitive user data through the short-form video app,” why isn't facebook being banned? While some may argue that TikTok “steals” and sells your data, this has been debunked numerous times and is solely for the improvement of user experience. User experience improvements such as showing personalized advertisements or introducing the user to new small businesses benefiting not only the user, but others on TikTok. We can scroll with ease as TikTok is securely protected from third parties whereas facebook has been known for their involvement in data based scandals such as theft, even being fined billions of dollars for failure to protect their users' sensitive information. 

Lastly, the economic struggles the censorship of TikTok may bring such as ridding many out of their occupations. With millions of businesses relying on the platform not only for advertising, sales, but reviews and thousands more relying on TikTok’s system, a ban could derail the lives of many influencers and diminish economic growth for the app. 

 The debate over banning TikTok brings up prominent issues about our rights as citizens of the United States and our economy. While there are worries about security and serenity, censoring TikTok could contradict the first amendment and what it stands for. Furthermore, others may argue that the censorship may have a political motive behind the ban which raises concern of whether or not our government cares about us as inhabitants or if the censorship was more for political brownie points. In addition, the economic fall back should not go unseen with millions of small businesses relying on the platform at risk of losing thousands of possible customers, sales, and advertising possibilities with numerous individuals earning a living through TikTok, the ban could have consequences farther than what policymakers could have imagined.

 

 

Works consulted

“ACLU Slams House for Latest Plan to Ban TikTok and Stifle Free Speech.” American Civil Liberties Union, 5 March 2024, aclu.org/press-releases/aclu-slams-house-for-latest-plan-to-ban-tiktok-and-stifle-free-speech. Accessed 14 May 2024.


“Oxford Economics Reports: SMB's use of TikTok Contributed $24.2 Billion to U.S. Economy in 2023.” Newsroom | TikTok, 13 March 2024, newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/tiktok-economic-impact-report-2024-smb. Accessed 14 May 2024.