Town of Many Skies | Teen Ink

Town of Many Skies

By Waking_Genie BRONZE, Hemet, California
Waking_Genie BRONZE, Hemet, California

I live in a town that can be described in many ways, none of which are good. Maybe it's because of the Walmarts that are busier than New York, or how the crime never sleeps, possibly because of the homeless who emerge from the groves of trees at night almost like zombies raiding our trash cans; looking for empty bottles and cans to keep for themselves. A place where there's something to do an hour in any direction but nothing but run down buildings in town. Kind of like the kid in school who picks their butt so everyone keeps their distance from him/her… but the only difference is that this kid who picks their butt has the most beautiful hair so everyone looks and watches them. It’s the same thing with my town, the only difference is that the hair on that kid, happens to be this town's beautiful skies.When looking up, I forget where I am, I don't realize that I'm still in the dried up run down town that has had my occupation for over 12 years. Instead I see the sunrise starting from a deep red and slowly changing to the shimmering gold  that I'm familiar with. The bright blue bold sky, with the cotton ball clouds floating across it. Forming people, pictures, and shapes that I could look at for hours, pointing out the “dancing bunny” or the  “alien spaceship” than within seconds changing again into a new picture, challenging my imagination to a new level. A game that will never get old, and with a new day comes a whole new challenge. Maybe that’s what makes this town tolerable, because personally when people say they hate living here, I don't understand why.