I Used To Be, But Now I Am | Teen Ink

I Used To Be, But Now I Am MAG

"There is a season, turn, turn, turn, for everything turn, turn, turn." - The Byrds

In time everything will "turn." Mostly these changes occur because of an experience. For me high school was this experience. High school has taught me about myself, and that is the most important lesson I could have learned. This metamorphosis has taken me from what I used to be to what I am now.

I used to be quiet and shy, not wanting to expose my inner self; not wanting to speak up for what I thought was correct and just. Now I stand tall and proud, daring to be bold; not being afraid to take that chance and just let it happen.

I used to live deep down inside, coming out only when I felt it was absolutely safe. When I thought nobody was around, I would venture out of my little world, and at the first sign of conflict or despair, I would race back into my own private cocoon where I felt protected and secure. I would never speak about what was on my mind. I was afraid that someone would criticize me or tell me I was wrong. I cared too much about what others thought and didn't pay attention to my own perception of myself.

Now I am no longer afraid to voice my opinion, and let the world know how I feel. I have transformed with the help of my teachers and friends who put their confidence in me and assured me I could accomplish anything. They taught me that it is not a tragedy to fail at something as long as you have learned from your mistakes. By finding the courage to believe in myself I have become steady and strong. While the thought of a challenge used to terrify me, it now gives me the tenacity to work even harder and overcome the obstacles that stand in my way.

I have realized that the ideas I have hidden in the past can now contribute to the world.

I USED TO BE WEAK BUT NOW I AM STRONG. ?