My Town | Teen Ink

My Town

By Morgan Swenson BRONZE, Orono, Minnesota
Morgan Swenson BRONZE, Orono, Minnesota

According to the Dictionary a town is defined as “a thickly populated area, usually smaller than a city and larger than a village, having fixed boundaries and certain local powers of government”. However, there is no “definition” of what a town truly is, as every town has its own personality and identity. My town is considered home to hundreds of people, and these hundreds of people rely on it to keep them safe and secure. There are many aspects that my town possesses that can make this happen.

My town is not too big and not too small; it’s the perfect size. Many of my friend’s live within walking distance, and my school is conveniently located a few minutes away from my house. The fire and police departments reside in convenient locations that make everyone feel out of harms way. Being filled with kind, caring residents is another aspect that points to an admirable place to live. I often find people picking up litter or volunteering at the fire department, just because they can. However, no town is perfect, and there are many elements that could be changed to improve the quality of living in this already wonderful town.

One change that could be made is finding ways to get teens involved. Whether this is getting groups together to help the environment or allowing teens to intern at local businesses, the teens in my community need to find a way to come together and get to know each other, while helping out a good cause. Also, my town is in need of more support for our local businesses. Many people often go out of their way to a restaurant or shop just because it’s where they have always gone. However, my community needs to get more people to try out the local businesses so that they can gain support and provide for our community. Finally, my town needs more people who are willing to preserve natural habitats and plant trees in place of more construction. The world’s natural habitats are decreasing daily, and even a small change in a small town could make a difference.

In the end, making a difference is what it’s all about. Every town affects the daily life of it’s inhabitants, and my town does it in a positive way. Every town has its flaws, and the town residents are the people responsible for mending and repairing their town’s identity. People are the life source of every country, state, and even town.

My town is part of my everyday life, so why not write about it?