Violence | Teen Ink

Violence MAG

Responding to terrorism bybombing other countries is an ineffective way to find peace. I do not supportPresident Bush's war on terror. This oxymoron does not stimulate my patriotism.The values of justice and peace, which are supposedly the foundation of ourcountry, will not be achieved through war. I believe that a peaceful society canonly develop from the compassionate understanding of all humanbeings.

Violence begets violence. In high schools throughout the countrywe are teaching students to settle their differences through conflict resolution.It is difficult as a student to respect a peaceful problem-solving policy whenthe government contradicts it on a larger scale. After the September 11 attacks,Americans sought revenge. This tragedy created internal hate and by externalizingthat hate through war, our nation is fueling the terrorism fire. It allows the"enemy" to rationalize their additional acts of terrorism. It isimpossible to derive peace from violence.

To end terrorism, Americamust re-evaluate its criteria for success. The United States' idea of superiorityis technological advancement, but no matter how destructive our weapons become,the concept of war will always be primitive. Greater strength is gained throughunderstanding. By understanding those who oppose us, we can diminish theinstinctive desire to retaliate. Furthermore, the credibility of our nation willincrease if we can protect ourselves without hurting others.

Passiveresistance is not a popular political standpoint today. It's often mistaken foridleness, but proved a powerful means of change during the civil rights movement.Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. proved that passive resistance canbe a solution to injustice. Its two components are self protection andformulation of a world based on higher spiritual values, compassion,understanding and kindness. The Dalai Lama states, "Compassion is by naturepeaceful and gentle, but it is also very powerful."

As afree-thinking citizen of the earth, I will practice the ideals of pacifism in mydaily life. I hope to spread the notion of non-violence and allow it to changethe idea of patriotism. If patriotism is the act of celebrating compassion andoffering it to other countries, it will no longer divide us. My dream is that oneday we will wave our flags, not to support a war on terror, but to rejoice in apeaceful world.

tikii morio said...
I know.

It is crazyness.