Can I, one person, change the world? | Teen Ink

Can I, one person, change the world?

By mehul vithlani GOLD, Mwanza, Other
mehul vithlani GOLD, Mwanza, Other

Over millions of years the world has constantly been changing and developing. Scientists, geologists and economists alike have constantly been working to make a difference to the world, but have they actually changed the world?
Mahatma Gandhi’s ‘non-violent’ act, in fighting for India’s independence, inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. His restrained activism bought India its rightful independence; without him, this wouldn’t have been possible. Mahatma Gandhi has therefore changed India and possibly this has changed the world.
Martin Luther King, a prominent leader in the African-American civil rights movement, freed the world from racism. Inspired by Gandhi’s ‘non-violent’ activism, Martin Luther King led the civil rights movement, engraving his name in history as the saviour of the black race. As a matter of fact, without his courage and aim to stop racism and to get black people their rights, in my opinion, Barack Obama wouldn’t have become America’s first ‘black- president’. Martin Luther King set the wheels of motion for Barack Obama to become America’s president and therefore he has changed the face of the world.
Another name that I would like to mention, who made a significant change to the world, is Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa founded the missionaries of charity in Calcutta, India in 1950. ‘Her missionaries of charity continued to expand, and at the time of her death it was operating 610 missions in 123 countries.’ She has changed the world with her decision to build this charity.
The first telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in order to communicate. This, I believe, is the foundation to all the current telephone technology. Without this invention, Dr. Martin Cooper wouldn’t have invented the first mobile phone in 1985 for a better form of communication in the 20th century. Alexander Graham Bell has therefore changed the world by his extreme invention of the first telephone.
In my point of view, I, one person, can change the world. Maybe not yet, but in the future I could be known as the inventor of something that did change the world. I’ve got the education and courage to support me in whatever I plan to do and so it won’t be a great deal for me to invent something unique. A wise man once said ‘possible is everything and impossible is nothing’ similarly, the word ‘impossible’ doesn’t exist in my dictionary and so I believe that I can change the world.
On the other hand, if I come back to reality, maybe there aren’t as many chances for me to change the world. There are various reasons that stop me from thinking that I can change the world. As a matter of fact, I’ve got the whole world to persuade about my idea which is next to impossible. This is because even if 5% of the people in this world don’t agree with my plan, my plan is simply going to be wasted because I need the whole world’s support to achieve my goals. Adding to this, my ambition is to become a doctor, if I divert all of my time and money in persuading people and planning about my inventions, I won’t be able to fulfil my dreams which is clearly not what I’m intending to do. The fact is that I’m just a 15 year old student from a 3rd world country who can very seldom do his homework efficiently; I don’t think that I, one person, can change the world.
Having talked about famous people changing the world, the question I have is that can you say that these people have changed the world independently?
Mahatma Gandhi had India’s support with him, if he was the only one avoiding a fight and leading all the protests himself, India’s independence would have remained a dream and it would have still have been in the clutches of the English.
Adding to this, if one person decided to stop using cars, putting their rubbish in the bin and only used renewable sources of energy, this wouldn’t have made any difference to global warming, whereas if everyone started to do this then global warming would end eventually. The point I want to make is that without any kind of support, you cannot achieve anything, but if you do get that support you will be able to make a change. However, also the people that have supported you have played a great role in fulfilling the aim meaning that you didn’t independently achieve your goal.
Having stated all the points above, I believe to a large extent that it’s not possible for me to change the world whether or not I put all my efforts into it.

CallmeFang said...
I agree with you in every way. I'm going to change the world too. i have been through a lot in my hectic life. i have seen things some lucky people will never see. I'm just a kid. i want to change the world with my writing, with my voice. I want to stand up and say what I mean. How i am going to get there exactly, well, i'm working on it! So, anyway, good luck, change the world, my friend. After all, this place needs to people like us, people who care. never lose hope on this, okay??