2010: A New Year of Resolutions | Teen Ink

2010: A New Year of Resolutions

January 13, 2010
By annataylor09 SILVER, Caneyville, Kentucky
annataylor09 SILVER, Caneyville, Kentucky
5 articles 7 photos 2 comments

The beginning of every new year is known to be the most popular time for change and determination. The reason is acutely because most of us make or at least think of a few goals to attempt for the year. Some who are concerned with physical appearance may change their hair color or start going to the gym. Others who are more concerned about changing things on the inside may set a goal to help people or be more care-free. Overall, these goals, or resolutions, are made to better oneself in one form or the other.

The idea of New Year’s Resolutions originated in ancient Babylon. The Babylonians made resolutions to return their borrowed farm equipment so they can start the new year with a clean slate. This does not sound like your average resolution now but I’m sure that losing weight or trying a new look was not on their minds very often. It was believed by some that if you broke your resolution, bad luck would be brought to you. This was why it was advised to be careful when picking out your NYRs.

Today, about 45% of American adults make at least one New Year’s Resolution. The most common are to lose weight, make better grades or quit smoking. French Professor Therese Saint Paul from Belgium does not typically make resolutions but sees them as an opportunity to change things. For 2010 she decided to make it a goal to visit a country that is not normally visited by normal tourism. She has already surpassed her goal by visiting Cambodia, Asia. The reason she wanted to visit an otherwise unpopular country was to see the meaningful opportunities that students could do there while studying abroad and to promote experience in going to French speaking countries. “I thought, maybe I could find something” said Saint Paul. With the history from the Vietnam War, Saint Paul saw what remains of the country and found that there are many ways to volunteer there.

Ashley Agostin, freshman from Louisville, Ky is not part of that 45% that made a New Year’s Resolution this year. “I don’t have one. After many years of making resolutions I have found that I just don’t keep them, so why should I just keep lying to myself? However, everyday is a new day and a new chance to make a resolution.” said Agostin.

Tamara Starks, freshman from Murray, Ky stuck with the usuals this year. “I want to lose weight by eating healthy and drinking water because I have already booked a flight to see a friend in Fort Lauderdale over Spring Break,” said Starks.

Instead of making resolutions and breaking them, why not make them and keep them? After 6 months only 46% of people who made resolutions maintain them. Here are a few things to help you keep your 2010 resolutions:
Be realistic when you make them. Don’t make a goal to do something that you know you will never be able to do. Make goals that have potential, then you will be more likely to keep them.
Write them down and put them somewhere you will see everyday. This way you will have a reminder and will be more likely to work on them.
If your resolution involves breaking a habit or losing weight, track your progress and take baby steps. When you track your progress, you will see how far those baby steps go.
Don’t give up. If you fail to workout one day then just get back on track the next day. Don’t beat yourself up over them because they are your goals and you pick your pace to keep them.

Resolutions are not for everyone but if you decided to make them this year just remember to make them for yourself, and no one else. After all, you are the one who gets rewarded from it in the end.
Source: newyearfestival.com

The author's comments:
This was assigned by my editor for my college newspaper.