Ancient Language- that of Forgotten Beauty | Teen Ink

Ancient Language- that of Forgotten Beauty

As the first line “十年生死两茫茫 (Ten years separated by life and death)…” of the traditional Chinese poem “In remembrance of a dream” echoed in our classroom, my mind is already drifting in the romance between the poet Su Shi and his deceased wife, the tragedies of Song dynasty, and the… “NOT AGAIN!” “THIS IS USELESS!” -- the protest of my classmates jolted me back to reality.

The rejection towards ancient languages is a growing trend among teens of my generation, as many dismiss these "old" and "useless" languages (like my classmates). What they don’t seem to grasp is without this “useless” in remembrance of a dream, there wouldn’t be the massively popular “LiangLiang” song. As you can see, ancient languages’ influence remains profound in contemporary culture, enriching our understanding of history, literature, and the human experience.

To truly appreciate the value of ancient languages, we need to look no further than popular culture. More than 11 million people still prefer traditional lyrics on Kugou Music alone (xinhuanet.com/). The reason can be shown through an obvious comparison. When describing love, modern lyrics (from “我想要” with more than a million views) read “I want my girl and a dark bed.” But in ancient poems, love is described as “dreaming my wife sitting in front of the window and putting on her makeup.” There’s nothing explicit or excessive about love, yet every detail is subtly revealing Su Shi’s deep affection for his wife. It is the artful expression found in these ancient texts that has inspired my interests in literature and illuminated a possible direction of future for me, and generations of people.

Nevertheless, many of my classmates argued that they should focus their limited time on subjects that can help them get into a good college. Latin, for instance, is often studied solely for SAT preparation, yet its impact on the English language and Western culture is far more than that. According to the New York Times, “Harry Potter books use Latin words for names and spells,” and “movies like ‘Gladiator’ use elements of the ancient world.” Just as I have deepened my understanding of Chinese culture through ancient Chinese, a more profound grasp of English and Western culture can be achieved by delving into Latin.

In conclusion, as we continue to rely on elements of these seemingly "old" languages in 2023, we must recognize their significance and embrace the value they offer. In a world filled with disposable one-hit wonders, these ancient passages are able to preserve their value. After all, I’m sure that students from 50 years later would still be quoting “Ten years separated by life and death” instead of “I want my girl and a dark bed.”

1. Winnie Hu. "A Dead language That's Alive." The New York Times. 6 Oct. 2008.

2. 饶丹. “国风音乐:用时尚方式唱出中国味道.” 新华网. 23 Sep, 2021