An everlasting madness | Teen Ink

An everlasting madness

May 22, 2024
By ngreen25 SILVER, Los Angeles, California
ngreen25 SILVER, Los Angeles, California
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments


Manifest Destiny and the belief that it was the country's divine right to expand has been prevalent throughout many decades of our world's history. From the Civil War to today's wars in Ukraine, the idea of manifest destiny has caused violence and suffering to many groups in our society, and still, countries are trying to expand westward. This issue has had effects global and domestically, and in this essay, we are going to expand on how manifest destiny has changed and stayed the same throughout the progression of our world. Although the civil war was a leading factor in the eventual abolishment of slavery and change was headed in the right direction, manifest destiny and westward expansion continued on through the civil war, extending racism throughout the 19th century. This is significant because although the civil war would put an eventual end to enslavement, it would not curtain racism towards black folk and wouldn't put an end to the extreme racism toward Native American peoples.

The Civil War, while playing a pivotal role in the curtain of racism, also witnessed the persistence of Manifest Destiny and westward expansion, expanding racism throughout the 19th century. Through the years of our country, manifest destiny has been active for decades, with colonizers set on the idea that it was the country's divine right to expand beyond the original 13 states. There were three ideas that drove expansion in the early 19th century: America's strength justified moral claims to hemispheric leadership; colonizers believed lands on the other side of the Mississippi and the Caribbean needed agricultural improvement; and God and the Constitution spoke of a destiny to accomplish redemption. (Bennett, 2013) The idea of manifest destiny was originally created by the belief that it would better our country and bring positive change; ultimately, it was just a way to hide the colonizers desire for power and hemispheric leadership. This caused many issues globally and domestically with racism toward Latinx and Native American peoples because of the desire to gain land that others were currently ruling. (Bennett, 2013) The Mexican-American War, starting in 1846, can be seen as one of the early examples of racism toward Latinx and Native American peoples. With President Polk traveling to Mexico to try and buy land to expand the United States territory, he also sent a 4,000-man army to cross the border and fight for the territory. This was deemed successful, granting America the greatest land gain of the entire 19th century. (Bennett, 2013) Not only was the invasion of Mexico based slightly on racism, but the idea of Manifest Destiny caused many Latinx lives as well as America gaining land. This trade-off has caused issues for decades, with one of the biggest targets being native American peoples. The harassment of Native American peoples through the 19th century was solely based on racism and manifest destiny, and white Americans could always use new land. (Bennett, 2013) Leading up to 1861, when the civil war started, over sixty thousand Native Americans were forced west and moved out of their homes by white colonizers. This racism ultimately led to the Civil War, where America fought against itself for the right to slavery. Although the war was deemed successful and was a big factor in African American people gaining rights, racism and manifest destiny did not end there. It continued on with the Americans purchasing Alaska, annexing Hawaii, and making plans for a canal across Spain. (Britannica, 2012)

Although the Civil War did grant rights to many African American people, it did not stop the continuous racism throughout the spread of Manifest Destiny after the war. Native Americans were still continuously displaced and mistreated following the civil war and the emancipation proclamation. A great example of this is the painting by John Gast, American Progress, 1872. (Bennett 2013) In this painting, on the far left side, Native American people are being driven out of their homeland and forced to migrate westward. They are clearly fighting, but not strong enough against the many funded white American colonizers. Another example in the painting are the wires extending from one end of the picture to the lady in the center. Colonizers believed that manifest destiny led to industrialization and improvement in the country. The wires leading up to the center of the photo symbolize what manifest destiny has previously done and what it is leading up to as it follows the colonizers. Agricultural improvement is also shown on the right side, which is one of the three pillars of manifest destiny that were mentioned before. This just proves that this painting is not only propaganda but also justifying terrible actions and actually glorifying them. This painting signifies not only what America does after wars but also how manifest destiny was continued throughout America's history and how poorly Native Americans were treated.

Manifest Destiny, a concept deeply ingrained in American history, has persisted both domestically and globally, leaving a lasting impact on territorial disputes even in contemporary times. This ideology, rooted in the belief of American exceptionalism and territorial expansion, continues to shape geopolitical events. A striking example of this enduring influence is the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war that erupted in 2022. This conflict is characterized by an unprovoked desire for land invasion by Russia, demonstrating the continued Manifest Destiny. As reported by the Council on Foreign Relations (COFR) in 2023, the war serves as a stark reminder that the ideology of territorial expansion, driven by the notion of inherent superiority, still leads to acts of aggression and conflict on the global stage. The Russia-Ukraine war not only underscores the contemporary relevance of Manifest Destiny but also highlights the detrimental and far-reaching consequences of such unprovoked and violent land grabs, emphasizing the enduring challenges associated with imperialist ideologies in the modern world. 

In conclusion, Manifest Destiny, deeply ingrained in American history, has wielded a lasting influence both domestically and globally, perpetuating violence and suffering from the Civil War era to contemporary conflicts. Despite the Civil War's role in ending slavery, the persistence of Manifest Destiny and westward expansion extended racism throughout the 19th century, exemplified by the Mexican-American War and its consequences. Native American communities suffered forced displacement and mistreatment, vividly depicted in the painting "American Progress," showcasing the destructive impact of Manifest Destiny. Post-Civil War, racism persisted, manifesting in territorial acquisitions such as Alaska and Hawaii. The contemporary Russia-Ukraine war serves as a reminder of Manifest Destiny's enduring relevance, demonstrating how territorial expansion, rooted in a sense of superiority, leads to ongoing conflicts. The consequences of unprovoked land grabs underscore the lasting challenges associated with imperialist ideologies, urging a critical examination of Manifest Destiny's impact for a more just  future globally.

 

Bibliography

Bennett, Ethan, Joshua Beatty, and Gregg Lightfoot. Edited by Joseph Locke and Ben Wright. The American yawp, June 7, 2013. americanyawp.com/text/12-manifest-destiny/#IVTexas_Mexico_and_the_United_States. 

“Ukraine: Conflict at the Crossroads of Europe and Russia.” Council on Foreign Relations. Accessed January 19, 2024. cfr.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-crossroads-europe-and-russia. 

“What Was Manifest Destiny?” Encyclopædia Britannica. Accessed January 19, 2024. britannica.com/video/222022/did-you-know-Manifest-Destiny#:~:text=After%20the%20Civil%20War%2C%20politicians,a%20canal%20across%20Central%20America. 


The author's comments:

Manifest destiny has affected our country and our surrounding countries' relationships for decades.