Andrew Jackson - The Opportunist | Teen Ink

Andrew Jackson - The Opportunist

April 7, 2024
By realrigatoni SILVER, Encino, California
realrigatoni SILVER, Encino, California
8 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Policy decisions and actions performed by Andrew Jackson prior to and during his presidency did not always lead to success for the American nation, but instead were for his immediate interests, revealing his opportunistic character. The ideological values that were played into by Jackson’s Indian and economic policies were consistently inconsistent, and varied in order to benefit himself, or follow his own personal opinions based on the event at hand. Although some may argue that his actions were for the benefit of the nation, these successful results were only products of his opportunistic mindset. 

Both prior to and during his presidency, Jackson’s Indian policy was inconsiderate, completely contrasting his self-proclaimed paternalistic image. The violent pursuit of the Seminole Indians in Florida before his election, as well as the Trail of Tears caused by the Indian Removal act of 1830 exemplified the facade of his “Father” character. He himself was an avid speculator and expansionist, reflecting his southwestern roots. This was the primary reason for which Jackson determined his policy; the support from the southwest was merely due to the aligned values of pro-slavery and western expansion. The benefits reaped from the removal of the Indians were products of Jackson’s opportunism, and seeking the benefits for himself.

Another primary example of Jackson’s character is his economic policy, which did not align with one set of values, but instead permeated from his opportunistic mindset. His opposition towards the Bank of the United States was partly out of political (and also personal) standpoint against Clay, partly personal belief that the bank was harmful for the nation, and also partly his opposition to monopolistic institutions and their authority over southern debtors. The destruction of the BUS ultimately caused chaos and economic panic under the administration of Van Buren, thus with the American people placing the blame on Van Buren rather than the actual root of the problem, which was Jackson’s devout opposition to the Bank. Jackson’s opportunistic decision to veto the charter renewal for the Bank was a direct cause for the economic downturn, and quite the opposite of success for the American nation, even after his two term administration.

The Tariff of Abominations in 1828 further portrays Jackson’s policy inconsistency. While he seemed to be pro-tariff, he was actually only so in rhetoric, and instead did not actually support tariffs, since the south was more negatively affected. Even though the decision to maintain the tariff may have been out of necessity to maintain the union economically, it did not actually do this, but instead led to threats of secession from the south, especially South Carolina. The tensions raised by the Tariff contributed to later north and south conflict. His deviation from his own “set” of ideological values clearly exemplifies his opportunism and resulting lack of success for the American nation.

Jackson’s continuous display of inconsistent policies reveals his deeply opportunistic character. His contrasting changing ideologies are results of his goal to do what benefits him, rather than thinking of the larger consequences for the whole nation, most notably in the issue of the BUS. Even though some of his policies materialized into success for some parts of the nation, the success was primarily for his own personal gain and perspective.


The author's comments:

This historical essay argues that Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States, was an opportunist, as his policies were for personal gain more than the nation.